Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Non HID to HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non HID to HID headlights

I have a 2005 evo 8 with non HID headlights in it. I recently bought some HID headlights I have searched on what I need to install them or what extra parts. I want the fog lights to work even the leveling system. That's not as in important though.. Can someone shead some light on this for me and help me out. Thank you
Old Sep 27, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that even possible? I thought that was with projectors.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:20 PM

I had the same idea a while back, but Im holding off on it until I get the time to pull off this project. This is just what I know so read and take from this with caution. Basically, I dont have all the answers. This is just what I know from trying to do the same as you are. Also, this is for a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX, so its slightly different, but I figure most of this will help.

I opened up the area where the headlight leveling and foglight switch is and I saw the connectors there. I already bought the switches and plugged them in, but of course they do absolutely nothing. They are just there so I dont have those plastic blanks. I rather have switches that do nothing than those blanks. When you look at the housing for the HID vs non-HID, they use different connectors. Also, when you look at the fuseboxes in the engine bay, they are different as well. Youll be missing an extra fuse and relay. I bought a complete fusebox and wire harness from a 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR to swap in for a OEM HID configuration. Unfortunately, this requires a lot of work because there are a ton of things attached to the fusebox. Also, it would be easier if the engine wasnt in the way. That one is kinda obvious.

So my material list as of today is :
-Headlight leveling switch
-Fog light switch
-Complete HID engine harness with fusebox
-HID headlight housing L/R

Currently on my car, I have the headlight leveling switch, fog light switch, and HID housing installed with working fog lights. I am using the standard halogen bulbs in the housing and I followed a tutorial that allowed me to use the fogs with the fog light switch by wiring the fog light circuit to an external relay and then to the fusebox. Currently, both the headlight leveling switch and the in-cabin headlight leveling ability are inoperable.

Hope this helps and once again, this may not be everything, but this is what I have at the moment.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:33 PM

this does help a lot, I went ahead and bought the leveling switch and fog light switch along with the whole headlight harness as well... to least make things easier
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have a pic of the back of the head light where the OEM Globe fits in?

I am in the process of sourcing an HID kit from a supplier but he needs a picture of the back where the globe fits in.The problem is the kits you get don't fit in the normal headlights....
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone have a pic of the back of the head light where the OEM Globe fits in?

I am in the process of sourcing an HID kit from a supplier but he needs a picture of the back where the globe fits in.The problem is the kits you get don't fit in the normal headlights....
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:16 PM

Yeah having the stuff on hand makes it a lot easier. I need to take the engine out to make the installation step, but thats not happening anytime soon for me. Having just the HID headlight housings for fogs with standard halogens is a lot nicer than it sounds.

Im sure you can find the pic that you are looking for since there are so many pictures to aid people in adjusting the height of non-HID headlights.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah,I'll have to do some research then...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedrb
this does help a lot, I went ahead and bought the leveling switch and fog light switch along with the whole headlight harness as well... to least make things easier
Was headlight harness plug & play?