Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Exedy Twin Disc Install - Video

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 06:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Exedy Twin Disc Install - Video

Still working on my evo and documenting everything. Comment with your trips or tricks as well!

The following users liked this post:
barneyb (May 13, 2019)
Old Apr 30, 2019, 07:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Well Done Paul @DontStopMe
Old Apr 30, 2019, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Did you modify the basket like what Jacks Transmission recommended to help with clutch drag?

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/b...clutch-warning

Last edited by 2006EvoIXer; Apr 30, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 04:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Did you modify the basket like what Jacks Transmission recommended to help with clutch drag?

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/b...clutch-warning
I did not. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also wish that was more detailed, seems a bit vague.
Old May 7, 2019, 03:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 346 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by DontStopMe
I did not. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also wish that was more detailed, seems a bit vague.

You are right about that, it is vague. Thanks for going out of your way and using your own time to post such helpful videos. The phenomena they are talking about is that when you release the clutch slowly in your car and you feel one clutch disk grab before the second. It can also be when you press the clutch pedal and the clutch doesn't completely disengage because the floater plate is lodged up against the flywheel towers due to friction, keeping a clutch disk engaged with the flywheel. It's a bit difficult to describe unless you feel it haha. There are also complaints about noise and that apparently this is a way to lower the noise too. Here are the parts that you can polish.

I choose to sand these 6 clutch towers on either side with 800 grit sand paper up to 1500 IIRC. You can also polish the sides of the floater plate (or plates if you have the triple) that contact either side of these towers to reduce noise and smooth engagement. They just need to be able to slide easy on each other. It is definitely NOT worth dropping the trans to do it though.

Last edited by Pal215; May 7, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
DontStopMe (May 8, 2019)
Old May 8, 2019, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I wonder if Exedy has addressed this in recent years? Reason I mention that is bc when installing my twin about a year ago I planned on polishing the towers per what I had read in the past however mine appeared to already be polished and fairly smooth. Perhaps it would have been advantageous for me to still polish it however I opted to install as is. No issues shifting as of yet but still way too early to tell.
DontStopMe (May 8, 2019)
Old May 8, 2019, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I've installed a few in the past 2 years, and they did not need polishing, they had a smooth machined finish.
DontStopMe (May 8, 2019)
Old May 8, 2019, 10:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I wonder if Exedy has addressed this in recent years? Reason I mention that is bc when installing my twin about a year ago I planned on polishing the towers per what I had read in the past however mine appeared to already be polished and fairly smooth. Perhaps it would have been advantageous for me to still polish it however I opted to install as is. No issues shifting as of yet but still way too early to tell.

One would think that it wouldn't be too much trouble if they did address it, but exedy themselves probably don't think that the polishing does anything. In fact, it's counter intuitive because the tower surfaces are already smoothed out enough from factory so that the floater plates and clutch disks slide freely on them .

I did polish mine when I owned an exedy, but I felt strange doing it. I thought that if you polish two surfaces with the same grit, you would actually cause the opposite effect and make them have more friction against each other since the microscratches on each surface, (peaks and troughs,) are now similar to each other, causing more grip. I'm probably wrong about that though.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215
You are right about that, it is vague. Thanks for going out of your way and using your own time to post such helpful videos. The phenomena they are talking about is that when you release the clutch slowly in your car and you feel one clutch disk grab before the second. It can also be when you press the clutch pedal and the clutch doesn't completely disengage because the floater plate is lodged up against the flywheel towers due to friction, keeping a clutch disk engaged with the flywheel. It's a bit difficult to describe unless you feel it haha. There are also complaints about noise and that apparently this is a way to lower the noise too. Here are the parts that you can polish.

I choose to sand these 6 clutch towers on either side with 800 grit sand paper up to 1500 IIRC. You can also polish the sides of the floater plate (or plates if you have the triple) that contact either side of these towers to reduce noise and smooth engagement. They just need to be able to slide easy on each other. It is definitely NOT worth dropping the trans to do it though.

Thanks for the info.

I talked to a shop that does a lot of evo work, and they said they don't polish them when its brand new set-up. So i'm not too worried. But i'll report back if i have issues.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Thanks for the info.

I talked to a shop that does a lot of evo work, and they said they don't polish them when its brand new set-up. So i'm not too worried. But i'll report back if i have issues.
You got it I agree, it's definitely not critical at all, especially with new installs.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts
How many launches before you guys think this clutch needs to be replaced?
Old May 13, 2019, 11:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Mine had 20k hard miles on it- probably 20-30 launches, road course (not always perfectly matched down shifts that **** the clutch off), and general street shenanigans, and the disks were at about 40%.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 06:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Mine had 20k hard miles on it- probably 20-30 launches, road course (not always perfectly matched down shifts that **** the clutch off), and general street shenanigans, and the disks were at about 40%.