Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Orbital 2 DIN Dash Conversion Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which headunit is that? and where do you get and how much is it?
i gotta get one before starting on my install.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pd1
Thanks for the replies. I actually found the guide holes, and used them. The problem was that the stickers were actually just a hair too large to sit flush within the indentation. A slight modification of the stickers (cut the smallest amount I could around the edges) combined with a little silicone fixed the problem. Again, I would imagine that the stickers sit perfectly in a non-coated piece, but that the coating adds just a hair of thickness which inhibits a flush adhesion.
Sometimes the guide holes are not the correct size and bind up the guide pin. Did yours go into the holes completly? The painted parts have more more material around the dial area and I have not had a problem with them unless the guide hole is to small. We have made a special tool "modified standard screwdriver" to properly size the guide holes on the painted units.

Thanks again for your feedback..

J
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:42 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jamey@ParisAudio
Sometimes the guide holes are not the correct size and bind up the guide pin. Did yours go into the holes completly? The painted parts have more more material around the dial area and I have not had a problem with them unless the guide hole is to small. We have made a special tool "modified standard screwdriver" to properly size the guide holes on the painted units.

Thanks again for your feedback..

J
I did clear out a couple of the guide holes with a pick so that the tabs inserted properly. This did not solve the problem. Again, the surface area on which the stickers lie was a fraction of an inch too small...possibly due to the coating.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:50 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
which headunit is that? and where do you get and how much is it?
i gotta get one before starting on my install.
The one I have is the Eclipse AVN6600. You can find units like this on various websites to compare prices, or use pricegrabber.com.

I would suggest you look into the features of similar units as another brand/model may suit your needs more fully than this one. I did a large amount of research before purchasing the Eclipse (as anyone should do before spending this much money) and am happy with my choice. Many people, however, have chosen (and been happy with) the Alpine/Pioneer/Kenwood units.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

PD1, I know you have you car back together but could you snap a pic of the modifacations needed to install the lower HVAC unit
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:00 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ~EVILEVO~
PD1, I know you have you car back together but could you snap a pic of the modifacations needed to install the lower HVAC unit
If you've received your Orbital kit, it includes detailed instructions with illustrations (pictures). If you've already seen these instructions, what else would you like to see?
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Im a Idiot I must have read the instructions wrong, but whatever I got the lower part on, Rich it had nothing to do with your kit at all! Just user error