Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EVO IX JDM rear bumper impact brace

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just modify the stock crash beam to fit? Here is a good how-to:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=48344.0
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xolition
I'm thinking of keeping my stock rear bumper brace and bending it at a 45 degree angle and putting it in my trunk. That way when somebody rear-ends me and totals my car because of lack of a rear-bumper support, the insurance adjuster will find a bent rear-bumper support in the wreckage Great way not to have to worry about it, unless you're dead of course.
The bumper support will not protect anyone in a high speed impact. It is a 5 mph bumper beam, made only for low impact crashes.
I don't think people realize that it does not even bolt up to the frame rails...it only bolts to the thin sheet metal on the back. The only item that bolts directly to the frame rail is the RS bar on the inside of your trunk.
In an offset wreck this beam would do nothing, because those bolts would be easily torn from the sheet metal.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mikevoSE
Why not just modify the stock crash beam to fit? Here is a good how-to:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=48344.0
That is not exactly quick or easy, and most people here don't have the tools to do that...furthermore it does not save weight, does not have a license plate bracket, or the bracket that holds the bottom of the bumper on.
Don't be fooled that it would protect you in anything but a very low speed crash.
The other thing is what you remove in all that cutting is where the energy absorbtion in an impact will be....if there is nothing that can bend, all the energy will be transfered to the car anyway. The cutting and mod of the stock bumper as shown above has likely made it much less safe.

I am a fan of the item listed in this thread, mainly because of the brackets for the plate and bottom of the bumper. After removing my stock beam and seeing that it only attaches to sheet metal (thin metal at that) I would have no issue eliminating it all together.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TearItUpSports
The bumper support will not protect anyone in a high speed impact. It is a 5 mph bumper beam, made only for low impact crashes.
I don't think people realize that it does not even bolt up to the frame rails...it only bolts to the thin sheet metal on the back. The only item that bolts directly to the frame rail is the RS bar on the inside of your trunk.
In an offset wreck this beam would do nothing, because those bolts would be easily torn from the sheet metal.
Another bad thing I noticed about this car is that there was severe rust between the body and the stock beam, really bad, so bad that it took a lot of sanding to remove it. This is on my brand new IX with only 950 miles on it thats always been garaged. Well it probably sat unsold outside at the dealer for awhile.

The rust would proably rot through the body in a year or so it was so bad.

I sanded it to clean metal and applied rustoleoum anti rust paint before bolting the beam back. I was shocked to find this rust. I think EVO's might be bad for rust. My VIII was rusthing through the roof even though it was an always garaged california car and it was a 2003 model!

I might suggest that everyone might want to check for rust in this area and address it before its too late, especialy for those who live in salted road areas.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Bumper brace ftw! Its about time someone made this.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by smartbomb
Another bad thing I noticed about this car is that there was severe rust between the body and the stock beam, really bad, so bad that it took a lot of sanding to remove it. This is on my brand new IX with only 950 miles on it thats always been garaged. Well it probably sat unsold outside at the dealer for awhile.

I sanded it to clean metal and applied rustoleoum anti rust paint before bolting the beam back. I was shocked to find this rust. I think EVO's might be bad for rust. My VIII was rusthing through the roof even though it was an always garaged california car and it was a 2003 model!

I might suggest that everyone might want to check for rust in this area and address it before its too late, especialy for those who live in salted road areas.
That sounds scary. I may have to get in there to take a look.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

wow not bad. id get one after i order my jd rear
Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:58 PM

I want one if he is still making them! Just got my bumper!
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

that's cool!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smartbomb

yup every evo i have dealt with has this rust problem by the crash beam mounting area...every evo owner should take off the stock rear bumper and sand the rust off and apply some type of paint/coating..

I should also check the front crash beam area for rust as well
Old Nov 2, 2007, 05:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa, i didn't know you owned an evo. The spec race car is looking awesome!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 06:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea def nice work i had my crash been customized its better then nothing good luck
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

nice!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:48 PM

looks great
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:48 AM

Could you have him make me one just like the one you have?

Quick Reply: EVO IX JDM rear bumper impact brace