Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EVO IX JDM rear bumper impact brace

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO IX JDM rear bumper impact brace

I was pretty much in love with the design of the JDM IX rear bumper so I ordered one and when I got it, it was pretty obvious that the stock rear bumper support was not going to come anywhere near working.

I confirmed with a search that most people here were just installing the bumper cover with no rear impact protection at all. I didnt like this idea very much. I didnt want only a layer of flexable plastic between some idiot and my expensive quarter panels and rear sheet metal.

I also considered the fact that the rear bumper brace helps tie the rear frame rails together incresing chassis stiffness. I mean if the factory thought that it was important to add the little rear RS brace and Cusco developed the rear power brace to go back there, then tying the back together must help handling some. Those braces pale in stiffness when compared to the USDM rear bumper brace.

I tried to get a JDM buper brace but my contacts in Japan lagged and I was losing paticence so I decided to have one made localy by the fabricator that does my race car finsih Fab, Brian Kono of Afterhours Automotive. If you want to see the quality of his work, you can look here.

http://www.nittotire.com/blog.asp

I also read quite a few posts where other people were conserned about having no rear impact protection as well with this bumper so I convinced Brian to jig up my bumper as probably other EVO guys would be interested in this. It seems like half the EVO's I see in my area have this bumper so I could not be the only person wanting a brace.

Here is a pic of the bumper brace.

Here is another one with the cover in place.

The quality of the part is amazing, its is built of 4130 chrome molly tubing with dimple die plates for stiffness and strength, just like a race car part. Its tig welded and weighs only 9 lbs, a saving of 8 lbs from the stock brace. It has a bracket so you can retain the stock licence plate lights as well.

I mean it probably won't take a hit as well as the stock part, it cannot because the stock bumper is over 2x thicker than the JDM part but it will stiffen the rear of the chassis for better handling and is much much better than having no rear bumper at all like everyone with the JDM bumper does. It probably perfect for road racing where a guy bump drafting will no longer smash up your car.

I know this is sorta spam but since I found a lot of posts with people worried about the lack of support for the back bumper let me post that Brian will build one and sell it for around $300 which is cheaper than the stock rear bumper brace.

So if you have a JDM rear bumper or you want to get rid pf 8 lbs from the very back of the car, this is a good piece.

You can call Brian at Afterhours at 714 220-2030.

So what do you guys think?

While we are talking about the JDM rear bumper. Does anyone know where to get the cover that fits over the tow hook and is there a rear lower cover that bolts to the JDM rear bumper? There are bolt holes for one and I think a rear cover would be cool to prevent air from getting trapped back there. I can't find anyone selling additional parts for the bumpers.

Last edited by smartbomb; Sep 23, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. It seems like it's been put together nicely. Having the look and added protection, rather than just a bumper cover, for only $300 is pretty cheap insurance. Well done. I like it a lot.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a great improvement over going "naked" with no bracing or crash protection.

I love it when someone with the skills and knowledge takes the bull by the horns to solve common problems elegantly.

Nice work.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:21 PM

Thank you for the compliments!

It looks like someone else might be making one.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=crash+beam

I think Brians part is way better though although if I knew about this part I might have just got it. I hate having custom stuff made!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

thats cool
Old Sep 23, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like Biran is going to get a call from me....

-Mitch
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

subscribed, may need this piece @ a later date.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:20 PM

Anyone know where I could get the cover for the tow hook? How about the JDM undertray? No one seems to sell these parts.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

In for later!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the tow hook cover just contact any vendor. It usually comes with the bumper.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

the tow hook cover should come with the bumper... contact whoever you got it from and they should send it to you! i just got my bumper and no tow hook cover i contacted the vendor, the vendor said they were out of stock and will send me one soon as they get it .. and i like this crash beam i might have to contact bryan! thanks again
Old Sep 24, 2007, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

looks to be quite durable, plus i like the license plate braket
good design!
Old Sep 24, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

He will be getting a call from me too in the near future.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida
that looks really good
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Looks good

Quick Reply: EVO IX JDM rear bumper impact brace