Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Tail light tints

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light tints

Before anyone goes saying this is ricey, stupid, illegal, blah, blah, blah, let me just say, save it.

Anyway, does anyone have these specific tints from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVOLU...hippingPayment

I am concerned about its fit and its level of tint. The pics make it look black, but the description is 'light tint' so I am wondering if anyone has it and perhaps has a pic. Any experience would be great! thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would avoid those. Not because what I think of tinting taillights but rather because I know any film type is easy to get stuck over the years and will yellow or melt onto the light over time. If you want to do this right just go to a shop and have them paint a light coat of paint over it. Much better and lasts longer.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

I would ordinarily agree with that, the 'proper method'. But in this case, Im thinking I would prefer something that is non permanent (at least for a couple years). There is almost no way I would paint my tail lights. Thanks for the input though. Anyone else? Probably not a great time to get an answer at 230am
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Like "Alvin" said, either way will be permanent. Either permanent damage or permanent look. I painted my tails "evo 7 style" been 2 years, look great and never regretted losing the "altezza" look.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

I wanted to kill a small animal after trying to put these on. I followed all the how-to's asked people that previously attempted it for advice.

I used the lamin-x ones for 50 dollars.
All the little bubbles and bumps made it look like crap so I pulled them off for the 3rd time and trashed them
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

I already have the black housing (IX SE) if thats what you are referring to. I am finding it hard to believe that a piece of rubberized plastic will become fused to my tail lights in any reasonably short period of time. I would think that if this type of fusing or yellowing is a real issue, I could foot the bill for 20$ replacements... Aside from this issue, does anyone have experience with the fit and tint % of these coverings?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aznfballer79
I wanted to kill a small animal after trying to put these on. I followed all the how-to's asked people that previously attempted it for advice.

I used the lamin-x ones for 50 dollars.
All the little bubbles and bumps made it look like crap so I pulled them off for the 3rd time and trashed them
Good to know, have you ever had experience with clear bras or anything like that? I have put a clear semi permanent bra on a BMW M5 and getting all of the bubbles out is a pain, but with the use of a plastic spatula like thing (dont know what else to call it) and a heat gun, those can USUALLY be gotten out reasonably easily. No offense to you, Im just wondering if the bubbles were from you or from the product. Thanks for the info though!
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have a success story with these?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Protostar1 - You are right, the picture does make them look black. When installed they kind of have a purple tint to them close up. From about 10 to 20 feet off you can't tell though, and they look black from that far off as well. The fit is very well.

I purchased these in order to have the ghey stockers covered up until my MR tails came in.

As the instructions say, you have to wet the tail light and film with a soap/water mix, put the film on the light. Don't freak out if you get them, because they are smaller, the instructions say they have to be stretched to the edge to get more of the bubbles out, and have a tight fit. After stretched to the edge, take a smaller soft bondo spreader, and starting from the middle, push all the bubbles out, not hard at all. You also have to leave like a 1/8" space from the edge, or something like that. But the fit is very nice for what they are, if installed right.

aznfballer79 - Dunno why you had so much trouble putting them on. Spray bottle with soap and water mixture + a bondo spreader = 20 to 30 minutes install time, no bubbles for me after installed.

Also, these were on for almost a month, and I washed my car every week, and never had trouble with them peeling or anything.

As I stated, I only bought them as temporary until I got my MR tails.

Here are some installed pics.

Hope this helps you man.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; Dec 11, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe my friends and I just suck at this type of thing? haha it was interesting watching 3 guys breakin a sweat over a piece of film and a tail light
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Old Dec 11, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thank guys question answered! For $20 shipped I think Ill try them out...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

stuff works good
Attached Thumbnails Tail light tints-evo-beach-4-100k.jpg