Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Introducing my Evo 3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introducing my Evo 3

Firgured i would post up my CE9A. I got it from a friend of mine in June and it has been a non-stop work in progress. He was more of a looks kinda guy and i am the kind of guy who thinks chrome stops at the bathroom faucet.

The car was recently sprayed over came with some cross eyed HID projector conversion, HKS BOV (VTA....ick), Blitz SUS intake, Kakimoto cat back exhaust, Cusco Zero 2 coil overs, Whiteline rear 20mm sway, Ralliart front and rear strut tower braces, Ralliart front and rear engine mounts and an Ebay hard piping kit.

The day i got it.

Within the first month i changed out the alternator, changed all the accessory belts, relocated the battery to the trunk and installed Super pro rear lower control arm bushings and Megan upper camber rods. I also got some 16x7 Enkei RPF01's and 25/50R16 Toyo R1R's

After that i fixed the projectors, got the intercooler that went with the Ebay kit and went to town with some black spray paint. Also lost a corner light lol

Next up was Ralliart diff bushings, Super Flex front lower control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings.

Next up was a Megan O2 housing and down pipe for a 2g eclipse which i had to modify the exhaust end to mate up with the 3" Kakimoto that was on there.

Some where around that time i put in a Walbro 255lph HP and an old school Greddy profec b

Took off the wing and subsequently got 100000000000 times less attention from everyone looking for a race or some bs like that

Threw on an AEM W/I kit i had left over from my turbo diesel Navara

Lately i've installed an AEM Wide band that is emulating the stock signal to the ecu and Apexi EL 2.5 bar Boost gauge and oil temp gauge in a self made (but admittedly not yet finished) cluster surround mount

A USDM Evo 8 ecu conversion with FIC 750cc injectors and a stock Evo7 FPR

Made my own intake from some 3" bends and recirculated the BOV and swapped out to a smaller Blitz SUS filter (not pictured) and threw on a Cusco 2 point lower front control arm brace

Next up on the mod list are megan rear toe rods, FD3S calipers with 05 Altima rotors up front, EBC yellow stuff all around and I just picked up some Lancer GLS hard brake lines today to use with an Evo 3 RS (non-abs) proportioning valve for some ABS delete goodness.

Currently i have it running 12psi daily but high boost is 18psi. Plans are to refresh the engine with Evo 9 pistons and rods, new bearings etc and make a manifold and O2 housing for an Evo X turbo. My goals are a reliable 350whp and similar torque. It is my daily and autox car though i really need to take it to the local 1/8 mile strip to see what it will do.

Here is a vid of it at the last autocross meet we did.

Thanks for looking!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
very nice
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Why are you going with an evo X turbo? Its completely backwards from a normal 4G63 setup. Why not go with a IX turbo or just keep the stock e316g
Old Nov 30, 2010, 05:57 PM

Sick car man. Is there anyway you could repost the video? Getting some copyright message about not being viewable in the US.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome car, the III is my all time fav. C
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vid not working
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG_9_SE
Why are you going with an evo X turbo? Its completely backwards from a normal 4G63 setup. Why not go with a IX turbo or just keep the stock e316g
Because the evo 3 motor is located on the opposite side of the engine bay than the evo 4-9 and therefore needs the turbos compressor housing to be on the left side of the the setup
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

sucks about the video, not sure why that isn't working as i sure as hell didn't copy wright it. *edit* it was apparently copy writed for the music in the background. Will see if i can edit it and repost later

GG_9_SE my engine is the same thing as the 2g eclipse so the evo x turbo is the right way around for me. If i was able to use the Evo 4-9 mani and stock frame turbo without losing A/C and having a contorted O2 housing i would do it. I want the twin scroll to keep the top end power while spooling similarly to my single scroll big 16G.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 06:37 PM

wow that is different and old school but i like it
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
so raw...love it man
Old Dec 1, 2010, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Love the III's Nice and rare.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 04:55 AM

Clean *** old school.!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Man I'd kill for one. Nice work with yours.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Haven't updated this in a while, sorry for that
Within the past month i have swapped out the engine and transmission mount for Ralliart Group A mounts that i also filled with 3M 5200 marine sealant. Since the roll stops were already upgraded there wasn't much of a difference.

I managed to complete my FD 4 pot/Nissan Altima Rotor front upgrade and am running the EBC yellows up front and reds out back. Pedal feel is AMAZING, pedal travel has decreased though pedal effort has increased (i prefer it this way )

I did an adaptation of Vortico's ebay catch can mods. I had a piece of 7/8" tubing welded to my valve cover and ran hose to it. Below is a mock up pic, pardon the messy engine bay.

I have a set of HKS 272* 10.3mm intake and 264* 01.3mm exhaust cams along with a full Evo 8 valve train waiting to go in

Installed an Evo 8 MAF and swapped out to a proper 3" intake a good friend of mine fabbed up for me. (no installed pics yet)

I was having some boost creep issues so had the same guy modifiy the actuator for more open throw. It helped but i figure i will actually have to port the housing and go external dump The top half/diaphragm is from a Garrett actuator i had laying around, 14psi spring from an ebay stock replacement actuator, turnbuckle and the stock rod for some adjustment. Basically we added 8mm to the bottom half of the actuator and trimmed the internal stop a further 5mm for an additional 13mm of throw.

Lastly i converted from a 90550001 Tehpra V5.10 rom over to 96530706 Tephra V7 rom. I need to so some more idle and cruise logging for the low and mid lift trims but other than that its great. Next step is to get a map sensor and iat sensor to log boost and temps.
The sound quality sucks but i love launch maps I need to up the timing from -10 to -6 or so as 14psi is too much to leave the line with lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XbCTWXoAY

Lastly a vid of me at the local 1/8 strip. I was in the 8 sec class but broke out with a 7.922...the one time when improving your time is bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXVIcxBX89k

Last edited by Sirnixalot; Feb 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Looking good.

Quick Reply: Introducing my Evo 3