Notices
Evo Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Nikon D3100 Photo shoot

Old Jan 16, 2012, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nikon D3100 Photo shoot

Yesterday we did a lil photo shoot with our IX & our friend's brand new 135i.

I just got a Nikon D3100 and wanted to start messing around with some of the settings... I'm new at this so don't be too harsh :P I'm hoping to get a tripod this week so I can really start using it for what it's good for and working it in full manual mode... but regardless I am happy with how the photos came out and really happy with the camera.

We went to the car wash but the Evo still needs a good wax & hand wash.... however, it's winter and not ideal for such things, lol.

Photos have ZERO editing, these are the raw shots. Here are just a handful of 200+ photos taken.

After car wash:

Disclaimer:: these are low-res linked from facebook, not to worry, originals are very crisp and clean, lol.

Last edited by xxJazerxx; Jan 16, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have that camera too. It's great, and can grow with you. I'm still learning how to use it.

Good pics. Some of those shots turned out really cool, others look dark though, due to the angle of the winter sun in the evening.

A tripod will definitely help, as you can get the same level of crispness you got in these pictures, and go with a much slower speed to do fun stuff.

Also, you might want to play around with a narrow depth of field instead of having all the pictures have everything in focus. The stock lens isn't adequate for that stuff. The f/1.8 or more expensive f/1.4 lens is awesome though. If you haven't already, check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm too, he has some really good info there about gear.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by digitalskillz View Post
I have that camera too. It's great, and can grow with you. I'm still learning how to use it.

Good pics. Some of those shots turned out really cool, others look dark though, due to the angle of the winter sun in the evening.

A tripod will definitely help, as you can get the same level of crispness you got in these pictures, and go with a much slower speed to do fun stuff.

Also, you might want to play around with a narrow depth of field instead of having all the pictures have everything in focus. The stock lens isn't adequate for that stuff. The f/1.8 or more expensive f/1.4 lens is awesome though. If you haven't already, check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3100.htm too, he has some really good info there about gear.

Thank you! Yeah there were a few dark ones but I thought the background looked neat so took em anyways. I only have the 18-55 stock lense but I know what you mean, I have played with that to an extent however it is limited... Much better than a point and shoot though, lol. I am deff still learning and will advance further once i can dabble with shutter speeds using a tripod. Thanks for the link/pointers, i will be checking it out.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:35 AM

Go ahead and download lightroom to process too, the lr4 beta just realeased a few days ago and it is public. Processing is your friend, nothing comes straight out of the camera at its full potential
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Cool. I got the D90 but I havent played with it much.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by roof_rack View Post
Go ahead and download lightroom to process too, the lr4 beta just realeased a few days ago and it is public. Processing is your friend, nothing comes straight out of the camera at its full potential
Oh yeah, i know this. I have a degree in graphic design, lol. I plan to manipulate a few to attain different effects, just havent done it yet. I have CS5 for photo manipulation. Felt like sharing the originals, being open to any suggestions as far as the actual photography.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:17 AM

On the few with the dark foreground, if you changed the metering mode and metered on the cars they would be exposed correctly... This in turn would likely wash out the background. As others mentioned if you could probably improve some of the exposure levels in post processing.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you're asking for critique/criticism, here's my thoughts.
  • Check out Ken Rockwells site, and learn how to adjust white balance and metering.
  • Try to avoid backlighting (having the light source behind the subject) until you're better with the camera AND have the proper equipment.
  • Use a smaller aperture. Use depth of field to pull the viewers eyes into your subject.
  • Read up on, and practice, the Rule of Thirds
  • NEVER use the pop-up flash that's on your camera. It flattens the photos out, and makes them look awful.
  • Shoot in either fully lit areas, or fully shaded. Having odd shadows on the car looks awkward.

Using Depth of Field (DOF) to pull the eyes into the subject. See how the foreground is blurred a bit?

Joe H's Acura RSX by Matt Chandler!, on Flickr

Backlit (sun was setting in the west, I was shooting into the sun)

DSC_4777-Edit by Matt Chandler!, on Flickr
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:51 PM

Thank you for the info.. I appreciate the pointers. This is my first "real" camera so i have a lot to learn still.