Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Post All Your Custom Headlight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VHT NightShades

I've used VHT NightShades on my past vehicle an '02 SVT Focus, it's pretty common for focus owners to do it to their tail lights and to buy clear corner's and tint those.

The trick with the NightShades spray is to actually read the directions, but basically just like any spray paint. Wait for the first coat to completely dry before spraying the second coat, you can sand (obviously the finest grit you can get your hands on) between coats, but I usually just did it to the last coat, and to get a smooth clean shine, spray several coats of clear spray paint made for plastic over the nightshades and your set. The directions say, if you're not happy just sand the paint off and start over.

Light does shine very well through the NightShades, but it does dull it a little, they suggest using a higher wattage bulb if it's not bright enough for you.

I don't think the EVOVII tails would look great on the rally red, so smoking might be the way I go. I might try taking a heat gun to the tails to remove the clear lens and just painting all the chrome black too and then reseal the lense back on. Again check the focus forums those folks do it to their headlights all the time.

Last edited by emulous; Jun 24, 2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

where can i get that spray? autozone? who carries it?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I just finished "smoking" my taillights out this morning. I used a windshield tint from Wal-mart like someone else posted. It looks just like the picture of the silver Evo on the first page except a little lighter. I am very pleased with the results. I think it looks much better than stock. Will take pics asap..
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:18 AM

Please take pics WannaRace, I'd like to see what it looks like. I can't get over how bad *** that Silver one looks.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

I did mine with the model paint mentioned in the other thread about tiniting the tails. It is specifically a tint paint like the other stuff mentioned here. The good news is it is only $3.50 a can.

It is a spray, so you can go as dark as you want.

-J
Attached Thumbnails Post All Your Custom Headlight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]-evo-003.jpg  
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, looks great! Did you spray it from the inside or outside? I dread having to take apart the lights to get to the inside.....
Old Jun 27, 2003, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

I have a friend who works at a body shop in France and his trick is to add a little black paint to some clear coat and then spray them. I saw a set he did on a BMW and they looked great, lights where still clear, no haze.

Maybe you can find a body shop that will do it for you.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Coolguy949
These look good...
a little off topic but are those 18" rims on yours?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:25 AM

Wanna Race that looks good. I'd like to do that but don't want it to look hazy, I want it shiny are yours still shiny. I have the same smoked spray paint to, I have from when I was tinting my little gas R/C car body. Does it work real good?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Actually that's not my car up there I've been busy this week and next week so I don't have much time to do things. Sorry...

PS. My tint was 35% so it is darker than that in the picture..At night in the dark it looks like the silver Evo on the first page..
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Lightsped
Wow, looks great! Did you spray it from the inside or outside? I dread having to take apart the lights to get to the inside.....
I did mine on the outside, which is not ideal. I will eventually re-do them on the inside. Doing it on the outside leaves a odd texture when you look at it very close. Inside would be the ultimate way to go. I had seen on one of the Ford Focus sites instructions on taking a light apart. A heat gun and patience was the key. It can be done, but is a bigger project.

I smoked them mainly as a temporary thing to try and decide what I want to do--smoked or 7's. I am leaning towards smoke from the inside. Sounds like a good project for a fall Sunday.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 03:41 PM

im looking for c/f tails for an black evo 7. can someone help me?
Old Jul 20, 2003, 08:29 PM

Headlights tinted; Tail lights devolved

Heh heh got my headlights tinted and tails chaged to Evo VII's over the weekend.

I love it!!!

These are the tails before...
Attached Thumbnails Post All Your Custom Headlight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]-dscn0063-small-.jpg  
Old Jul 20, 2003, 08:30 PM

These are the tails after....
Attached Thumbnails Post All Your Custom Headlight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]-dscn0087-small-.jpg  
Old Jul 20, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Look MUCH MUCH MUCH better with the EVO VII tails!!!!

Quick Reply: Post All Your Custom Headlight Mods in Here! | [ALL THREADS MERGED]