Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Tales of a stubborn Evo owner: Final (hopefully) Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow the pictures of smurfzilla post-fire make me sick. Having been a lurker on these forums for years before actually owning my own evo, I can say that looking at pictures and the video you made about smurf greatly increased my desire to purchase one of these cars myself. You also show you have much more patience and resilience than I do, for I find myself getting frustrated over even simple things when working on my car, let alone having to do complete engine rebuilds and all these other unforeseeable troubles. I'm rooting for ya to get "black ops" finally 100%, and of course hope you decide to keep her, as I enjoy reading your threads, seeing your photos, and dyno results.

Best of luck!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Wow...Very informative post. I am on my second evo (first one sold) and so far I'm mostly stock. My last evo had 377/377 and after a while it got boring and I wanted MORE but was already 5k deep into mods. It's easy to see how crazy amounts of money can be dumped into this without realizing it. Minus bragging rights and more speeding tickets I think I may stay conservative this time.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the best advice I can offer anyone who's thinking about going big or is bored of their Evo is this.........
Buy.
Another.
Car.

That way you don't get bored. You'd be surprised how quickly your slow evo feels fast again if you aren't driving it as much. You won't be so quick to modify it. And you appreciate it more. I know that isn't ideal in some situations but if the Evo is your only vehicle you should NOT be looking to go big anyways because there will be some inevitable down time that requires patience.

I dont think I would have entertained this had my wife not had her STi.

If you still aren't convinced and think "that won't happen to me" then Godspeed. Sometimes it's not only the fact that someone is bored with their project why they sell it (ever notice that trend......buy an Evo, build and Evo, sell an Evo). Sometimes your just tired of your car being in the shop.

I'm tired of my car being at the shop.

I haven't had sleep in the last 36 hours and I'm extremely irritable and annoyed that my car is yet again not driveable.

That is a testament to Spec-Ops' work........because despite all the hiccups and speed bumps and small issues the thing that pisses me off the most isn't the money spent or the down time (although both suck much donkey bawlz), it's the fact that I have fallen back in love with my Evo (because of Spec-Ops) despite all the trials and tribulations.

I'll be better tomorrow, but today, my car sucks and I'm exhausted. I think I'll make it past the finish line even if I gotta drag this b1tch across kicking and screaming.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 18, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

I also have to give the utmost appreciation to my wife. She's watch the money go, helped me at times, curse me and the car at other times, refuses to drive it but has been very supportive when needed and the voice of reason even when I didn't want to hear it. Even now I would've expected her to be on "get rid of this headache" train.

She has actually been the most vocal about me keeping it strangely (maybe it's so she doesn't strangle me in my sleep over all the money dumped into both cars).
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Don't do it Kari. Its not worth it. And if you do stay stock frame. 500 is plenty for the street.

FML....Gotta wait until tomorrow to find out how much the got damn dump tube replacement is gonna be. I feel like its the blue car all over again. Jesus.
Thats reassuring to someone like me who plans to build the engine someday (112k miles) that was thinking of trading the black for a bigger turbo. So you think a built engine 2.3 with a black is plenty for the street?

I just dont want to be in a predicament where because of the extra power from a bigger turbo everything else has to be replaced and the budget is thrown out the window.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

2.3 with a black is plenty.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

congrats man! Must feel real good right about now!
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
2.3 with a black is plenty.
Agree 100%. That's the set-up I have in the White car right now. Unreal on the street
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

wow so much patiance
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k3lv
congrats man! Must feel real good right about now!
Right bout now I want kick my car in the teeth
Old Jun 18, 2013, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very devastating to look at the picture, glad you're weren't injured. I hope you iron out all the other issues.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Watch the video. It's pretty epic
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Right bout now I want kick my car in the teeth
I feel ya, If i ever get mine down off the lift it's been on since Feb maybe I'll do that off of GP.

Last edited by tiggeryellow1; Jul 19, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Terrible to hear about that. When you mentioned in another thread that "the blue car caught fire", I wasn't sure if that mean it was faster than before or literally burnt to the ground . I've always thought you're blue car was unbelievably clean, its also what made me make the decision to start listing my silver car to try and find an EB 9 SSL.

I also learned the hard way, (however not as hard as you), to go to good evo shops, preferably with a following on here so you don't have to do the work twice.

Good luck with the new car. Stay safe and enjoy it.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Duuuuude, such a good thread!! I have always followed your posts. I usually search, you, English Racing and Tscomp.

Quick Reply: Tales of a stubborn Evo owner: Final (hopefully) Build Thread.