Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Gettin' up there

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gettin' up there

Nothing special really: My 2004 SSL TB Evo VIII just rolled over 140,000 miles this morning!!

The thing that makes me happy about this is that it is the original block and internals, original head and internals and the original turbo with the 9.8 housing. I just replaced the original battery a couple months ago when I took it out of winter storage as well. I hit 296whp on MAP's dynojet last year with a horrifically terrible leaking o2 housing on 19.5psi.

Dyno graph: (this was 3 years after a tune by English Racing and a leaking o2 housing/exhaust system)

Mods:
Perrin intake w/ AMS cone filter
MAP o2 eliminator downpipe
Megan 3" resonated test pipe
Invidia 3" cat back exhaust
Grimmspeed MBC
GFB Stealth FX BOV
RotorPro slotted rotors
Girodisc Magic Pads
Comp stage 2 clutch
Torque Solutions shifter bushing kit
Torque Solutions driveshaft bushing kit

Exterior:
Tein lowering springs on stock struts (original owners doing, not my doing)
FBM anodized purple lug nuts
Rally Armor mud flaps
Smoked side reflectors and turn signals
Evo IX tail lights
Black brembo calipers
OEM accesory Mitsubishi door visors
-- this weekend the new trunk will be here, all holes filled and shaved, painted and type-d rexpeed CF decklid spoiler --

That's about it. Other than that car is stock and I love it. A few pictures:

Rims are powdercoated high gloss black and I sprayed the lip Illusion Purple with Full Blown Motorsports lug nuts in anodized purple.

Last edited by 2004EvoVIII; Jul 25, 2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: found and added dyno graph
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Amazing to see 140K. Heck, Im worried I just turned 50K

Has the head ever been off?

140K & a full tank of gas, you cant beat that!

EVO looks good
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Solenoid
Amazing to see 140K. Heck, Im worried I just turned 50K

Has the head ever been off?

140K & a full tank of gas, you cant beat that!

EVO looks good
Don't be worried! I was worried too after hearing/reading everyone saying the cars will need rebuilds and all that but it looks like I've been blessed with a solid car! The tune is off, causing some knock, but otherwise this thing still goes and makes one helluva daily driver!

I do not believe the head has ever been off. I've had the valve cover off but that's it.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
does those lugs have the seats like the oem ones?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Squidette
does those lugs have the seats like the oem ones?
By seats do you mean the plastic rings? Then no. But these lugs DO work with the stock Enkei rims, cause that's what my rims are
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
I think they key is almost everything is stock, and of course the driver, which I'm assuming you are the only driver. Awesome! Just remember if you start to really modify it, that's when things will start going wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo11V
I think they key is almost everything is stock, and of course the driver, which I'm assuming you are the only driver. Awesome! Just remember if you start to really modify it, that's when things will start going wrong.
I am normally the only driver. Dad has driven it a few times and I've taught two people how to drive stick shift cars with this car. I've put on over 40k miles since I bought it in May of 2011 and it was stored for most of one winter ('11 - '12) and all of the second winter ('12 - '13).
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2004EvoVIII
I am normally the only driver. Dad has driven it a few times and I've taught two people how to drive stick shift cars with this car. I've put on over 40k miles since I bought it in May of 2011 and it was stored for most of one winter ('11 - '12) and all of the second winter ('12 - '13).
Oh not the original owner? Wow that's even more impressive you found a solid one that was owned before. Glad I got mine in 2003 new
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Oh not the original owner? Wow that's even more impressive you found a solid one that was owned before. Glad I got mine in 2003 new
1st owner daily drove it in California until 56k miles. Sold to second owner who took it to Washington state and immediately did a tune and timing belt job @ English Racing. Then he decided to eGay it up (MBC, exhaust parts and intake) which caused me some troubles and headaches for the first month I owned it. Been a solid car ever since with my only major issue being the damn IC couplers blowing off ALL THE TIME, hahaha. I even have t-bolt clamps. But it's because the stock couplers are gross and don't work very well.

I wish I could have bought a brand new one, you're lucky!! Next year I'm either going to be on the search for an extremely clean and low mileage Evo or a GTR, we shall see what happens!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2004EvoVIII
1st owner daily drove it in California until 56k miles. Sold to second owner who took it to Washington state and immediately did a tune and timing belt job @ English Racing. Then he decided to eGay it up (MBC, exhaust parts and intake) which caused me some troubles and headaches for the first month I owned it. Been a solid car ever since with my only major issue being the damn IC couplers blowing off ALL THE TIME, hahaha. I even have t-bolt clamps. But it's because the stock couplers are gross and don't work very well.

I wish I could have bought a brand new one, you're lucky!! Next year I'm either going to be on the search for an extremely clean and low mileage Evo or a GTR, we shall see what happens!

Shouldn't blow off cant be running that much boost. I'm running about 35psi peak. I have the piping with a rib welded on, that stopped it. Simple fix, take it off have someone weld some beads or a rib on it and you'll be good to go.

I've always wanted to drive a stock one again and see how it feels. I'm at about 108K, and I've done a significant amount of preventative maintenance between last year and this year... Rear diff, t-case, transmission. No issues with them just staying a head of the game. Cost less when it doesn't go to crap.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats!

I just turned 167k!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Jul 25, 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: double post :-(
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't blow off cant be running that much boost. I'm running about 35psi peak. I have the piping with a rib welded on, that stopped it. Simple fix, take it off have someone weld some beads or a rib on it and you'll be good to go.

I've always wanted to drive a stock one again and see how it feels. I'm at about 108K, and I've done a significant amount of preventative maintenance between last year and this year... Rear diff, t-case, transmission. No issues with them just staying a head of the game. Cost less when it doesn't go to crap.
Good call. Cause I didn't mention my t-case whines, my input shaft bearing screeches and I think my diff is starting to growl (probably fixable via burnishing) . But the car is probably ~5 months from going in for heavy surgery and a full build/rebuild. Basically frame up restoration coupled with some nice mods to get me at a respectable 550-600whp.

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Congrats!

I just turned 167k!
Nice!! I wish I had lower miles on the car but at the same time, I cannot stop driving it. I didn't buy the car to sit in the garage, I bought it to enjoy it and drive the **** out of it!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
58k here!!