Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Replaced front wheel bearing....still has bad noise

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IS replacing the front wheel bearing difficult? I know there is a writeup, but skimming through it, it does not look easy.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
IS replacing the front wheel bearing difficult? I know there is a writeup, but skimming through it, it does not look easy.
I did one recently and chose to remove the knuckle so that I could take the hub containing knuckle to a shop with a press. I find it humorous that the most difficult part of the job was removing the plastic fender liner to get to the ABS sensor plug. The wheel sensor is not usually removalable by the time the car has enough miles to require a bearing.
Old May 28, 2015, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by vr4gasmtt
As long as your parts aren't super rusty it's a cake job. I did my last one in 20 minutes but, to be fair, the car was already on jack stands and it's a garage kept Texas car.
Old May 28, 2015, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The shop said mine was pretty stuck and coming from them, they work on 18 wheelers, was enough to make me happy it took it to them. My car is at a 100K and I live where there is winter. It was $15 to get the hub punched out.
Old May 29, 2015, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I did one recently and chose to remove the knuckle so that I could take the hub containing knuckle to a shop with a press. I find it humorous that the most difficult part of the job was removing the plastic fender liner to get to the ABS sensor plug. The wheel sensor is not usually removalable by the time the car has enough miles to require a bearing.
Lol yeah I had to remove both front knuckles and removing that friggin clip was the worst part between the stupid fender liner clips and then getting the clip to seperate from the inner fender well.

Originally Posted by terror rising
As long as your parts aren't super rusty it's a cake job. I did my last one in 20 minutes but, to be fair, the car was already on jack stands and it's a garage kept Texas car.
Always so jealous of you guys from TX, FL CA and wherever else rust is uncommon. The reality is that its such a simple job, remove wheel, remove caliper then rotor pop off axle nut remove 4 bolts holding on bearing assembly and throw it back together.

Unfortunately all 4 of mine were seized so off came the knuckle and my HF shop press to the rescue! This of course added significant time to the whole process.

Originally Posted by barneyb
The shop said mine was pretty stuck and coming from them, they work on 18 wheelers, was enough to make me happy it took it to them. My car is at a 100K and I live where there is winter. It was $15 to get the hub punched out.
Oh yeah my car has seen salt unfortunately and I can attest to them being all seized up in there. If you don't have access to a shop press, if seized finding someone with one to separate it is a must.
Old May 29, 2015, 07:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Always so jealous of you guys from TX, FL CA and wherever else rust is uncommon. The reality is that its such a simple job, remove wheel, remove caliper then rotor pop off axle nut remove 4 bolts holding on bearing assembly and throw it back together.
I'm from northeastern NY. I once spent 6+ hours on a wheel bearing on my DSM. I always knew southern cars were rust free but after living here and buying one it's amazing. I don't even own PB Blaster anymore.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you do wheel bearings its wise to do both sides regardless. the other will fail soon.

Only time a wheel bearing is hard is when you have driven it while ****ed for ages and its welding to the stud axle
Old Oct 22, 2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced a driver side bearing. Did not fix the slight thumping, whirling sound while driving. I dread doing the other side because of the retaining clip is to so difficult to reinsert. I don't think it's the bearings. I'm thinking about just driving it until it get so bad that I can finally discover what it is.