Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Advan tires in winter?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advan tires in winter?

How are the stock Advan tires in the winter? I live in Minnesota and just bought my RS. I can't afford winter tires yet. I'm hoping to get by this winter on the stock tires. Are most evo owners using winter tires and winter wheels?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
I ran into some bad weather last winter and they were terrible. If your tires are still new, you could sell them and buy some all-season winter tires with the money you get, something like the Continental Extremes. They won't handle like the Advans in the dry, but will work much better in the wet and snow. You should be able to get them in stock size for $115 or so.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

just drive slow in winter...hehe...
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

DO NOT use the Advans for winter use. Buy the cheapest all season tire if you have to since money is limited. ANYTHING is better at winter then the Advans.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

It's fine just as long as there is no snow in the ground. If there is...you better be 5 cars behind what's in front for they don't stop for shi**.
Take corners slowly too and you'll get through winter just fine.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:17 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

2 points to consider:

1) Even though you can drive carefully in the snow with the Advans, they definitely remove any margin of error or any room to handle an unexpected situation. Performance tires suck in cold and snowy conditions. There is a good chance you will end up with curb rash and in need of an alignment if not some mild fender damage.

2) It really sucks getting caught in a heavy snow storm! A couple times I have been nailed by a storm that came in more quickly than it should have while at work and was then forced to drive home in heavy traffic. If you have other means of transportation, whenever it might snow and only plan on using your Evo in fair conditions, then keep the Advans. Otherwise swap them out.

Nothing sucks worse then damaging your car on a cold snowy night because you didn’t have the correct tires -- Trust me... I have been there
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

The little gray label on the driverside door is there for a reason.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Advans suck pretty badly in the rain, I cant even imagine how bad they are in the snow...Get some good all seasons.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Never drive with Advans in the snow or ice. You will end up sliding with no control. I know from experience.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nad1370
It's fine just as long as there is no snow in the ground. If there is...you better be 5 cars behind what's in front for they don't stop for shi**.
Take corners slowly too and you'll get through winter just fine.
Bad idea.

For one thing, summer tires' compound are meant to run at a specific temperature range, in this case for the Advans, I believe it's approx. 40 degrees Fahr, for optimal grip. If the tires are used outside of that temperature range, the tire compound won't grip as well as it should; it will resemble running like "slicks" or on "blocks of ice".

Mitsubishi also caution Evo drivers [on the window sticker and in the car manual] to use winter tires during cold months, not just snowy months for reasons stated above.

Also, keep in mind that all-season tires will never handle as well as dedicated tires. However, I heard very good reviews about the Continental Extremes all-seasons, being the "closest-to-perfect" all-season tire you can get in the market. But again, it's not a dedicated tire.

If you have to buy all-season tires during the cold months, do it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND/WARN you DO NOT use the Advans or any summer tire during the winter. No matter how slow you drive, it's still very unsafe to do so and it's an unnecessary rick just to save a few hundred bucks.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WildRice
The little gray label on the driverside door is there for a reason.
Precisely. Do some searches and find out all the wrecks that happened last November to people with 03 models that tried to make it with the stockers.

Under 42 degrees is just dangerous. If you spent $27k on an RS, you can afford $400 for Sumitomo's or something.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree.. Definitely get different tires for the winter.. I live in an area where the weather can get pretty hairy, not to mention lots of hills and turns, forget about the Advans getting you anywhere in snow or ice, and expecting to feel anything but terror driving with them in the winter. I have since gotten performance all season tires.. I'll sacrifice the small amount of grip difference for the ice and snow grip..
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:26 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

I have heard that Minnesota is lovely and warm during the winter....

Get the snows or at least some good all seasons. You will need them.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:49 AM

Thanks to everyone!!!

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm working overtime right now to help pay for the winter tires. Being cheap isn't worth risking my life for.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xs2000
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm working overtime right now to help pay for the winter tires. Being cheap isn't worth risking my life for.
It's going to be worth it after you get the new tires. For sure get some new winter ones. I may be selling some soon. Could save you some money

Quick Reply: Advan tires in winter?