Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best brakes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2005, 08:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BakZamGai
Hi trinydex

No word from ogvw as yet. Probably missed my question wading through all the posts.
My query as actually this:
Assuming the Mono6 calipers and say the Alcon XT6 calipers use the same pads, what advantages does the race-grade XT6 calipers offer over the Mono6? I know it uses Titanium piston inserts and this probably keeps the heat from the brake fluid but braking power wise?

Cheers
Dennis
should be the same as the mono6 but lighter and stiffer. which is how the brembo indy calipers are.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Brake conversion

anyone heard of anyone ever making a conversion kit for the EVO 9 which would enable you to put the OEM front discs and pads on the rear?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trutchy
anyone heard of anyone ever making a conversion kit for the EVO 9 which would enable you to put the OEM front discs and pads on the rear?
Won't work, as the rear discs have an integrated drum brake which won't work if you use the front discs.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 03:36 AM

humm yes your right on the discs, did not think of that. what about tha calipers? obviously a disc would have to be sourced to suit.

I see on the net many brembo 4 pot rear converstions, are these the same calipers as the fronts or smaller??
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trutchy
Why would you want to run the same sized calipers front and rear? That would totally throw off your brake bias. You don't need that much rear brake. Hell, you hardly need any rear brakes at all on our cars.

Emre
Old Feb 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Why would you want to run the same sized calipers front and rear? That would totally throw off your brake bias. You don't need that much rear brake. Hell, you hardly need any rear brakes at all on our cars.

Emre
Maybe he wants to turn "trail braking" into "tail braking".
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:15 PM

MOVIT brakes are superb...I have a front set on my car and have yet to cause them any problems on the track, fade free braking lap after lap after lap....

4 pot monoblock calipers running 343mm 2 piece disks...These fit under 17inch wheels and perform superbly....

Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

quote=Phil_FQ;4018818 MOVIT brakes are superb...I have a front set on my car and have yet to cause them any problems on the track, fade free braking lap after lap after lap....

4 pot monoblock calipers running 343mm 2 piece disks...These fit under 17inch wheels and perform superbly....
Movit would be among my first choices if I were upgrading all the way around... However, they are fairly cost prohibitive across the pond here. You guys have better access to all the "fun stuff"! Our side of the pond concentrates far too hard on going fast in a straight line, for short distances...
Old Feb 26, 2007, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we are strong advocates for stoptech, almost all cars in speed world challenge use them etc... and ive had excellent experience with them, their support is second to none.

we have one of their first 355mm 6 piston setups coming for our evo 2.3 shortly.

cb
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Great stuff too... Probably the best on this side of the pond...

To be honest, 95% of Evo owners have no business going passed Ferodo DS2500 pads/good lines/and only a decent fluid though.

ogvw has a setup that fills in the mid range between my list and professional cars...

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 26, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 05:35 AM

Ok Guys as I have just read nearly the thread to find out weather the wilwoods are any good or not and I have not been able to.

My Question is the 6 pot conversion kit with the 355 mm rotors on the wilwood range an upgrade on the standard Evo 9 ?

If so how much improvement?

and were does the Alcon setup fall in here. ?

What sort of dollars would you consider worth spending to upgrade to the full 6 pot kit?
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
does wilwood make an evo kit? because i think you should be more concerned with the diameter of the pistons... than the diameter of the rotor.

alcon/ap makes a kit. it's good. it's most expensive.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 05:14 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
does wilwood make an evo kit? because i think you should be more concerned with the diameter of the pistons... than the diameter of the rotor.
You have to hunt for it on Wilwood's site, the product number is 140-9284/5 depending on rotor size. It uses the narrow body SL6 caliper with 1.62,1.12,1.12" pistons. The nice thing about the Wilwood kit is they tell you exactly what it's put together with, replaceables are cheap and widely available, and you can switch between 13" and 14" rotors with a couple half-inch spacers. You can also swap in Thermlock pistons.

Dave
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

Anyone have experience with the Racing Brake one piece rotors? Needing a track/autocross/street setup. Already the stock setup is pulsating when I brake. Can't believe all the great reviews of the stock setup in mags as I am pretty unimpressed with the stock setup.

Quick Reply: Best brakes?