Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

---Magnesium Wheels---

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
most mag wheels are made of aluminum and bit of mag.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayaalp

Have you ever used Jongblood wheels?

They suck.

You never see them at the races. Wonder why? They flex under load causing low pressure tire failures. I've talked to many a driver(that have used them) and they all have nothing good to say about them. Unfortunately we found this out after we bought two sets. Three tire failures at 155+ leaves these expensive rims in the shop. Anyone want a good deal?
Old Mar 14, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

after reading the twincharger thread, I retract my first statement, and emphasize my second statement.

i want pics of this beast...
Old Mar 14, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
Kayaalp

Have you ever used Jongblood wheels?
No, I'm afraid I don't have the budget for custom 3-piece wheels, so I've never used Jongbloed personally. I have used BBS wheels extensively on the track and never had any problems. I suppose if I were buying custom, forged, 3-piece wheels with my realistic budget, I would probably be looking at BBS LM's or maybe Kinesis (which is very popular with the Porsche and BMW club racers around here).

Originally Posted by tahoeacr
They suck.

You never see them at the races. Wonder why? They flex under load causing low pressure tire failures. I've talked to many a driver(that have used them) and they all have nothing good to say about them. Unfortunately we found this out after we bought two sets. Three tire failures at 155+ leaves these expensive rims in the shop. Anyone want a good deal?
I based my comments on their reputation and old-school Can-Am style. But I wonder how they survived in the market so long if their productrs are so crappy. Maybe they're only good for leightweight cars or small diameters?

Emre
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Your thoughts are mine exactly on how did they stay in business so long.

We tried them on a 1,400lb Indy lights cars and one of are new crew members tried them in Formula Atlantic cars.

I was going to try them for a 16" to clear the Brembos on my Evo. Got scared with the chance and a $660. a piece cost. Found some rims in the UK that clear and are cheaper.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

www.rayswheels.co.jp
Old Apr 21, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

I was a firefighter for a couple of years in college. When we were going through training for car/gasoline/chemical fires, we were told to stay back from cars with mag wheels while putting them out. Superheated magnesium EXPLODES when the cool water hits it.

"Pouring water on burning magnesium accelerates the fire and can cause explosions or flare-ups.
  • A magnesium fire can be extinguished by smothering it with a dry substance such as sand or specialized powder. The fire at Garfield Alloys couldn't be smothered because the flames were too high and the explosions too dangerous.
  • Magnesium oxide is the byproduct of burning magnesium and can cause breathing difficulty for people with respiratory problems, such as asthma, allergies or emphysema. Magnesium oxide also may irritate the eyes, throat and nasal passages.
  • Unalloyed magnesium is used in photographic flash powders, incendiary bombs and signal flares.
  • Magnesium compounds are used in a variety of products, including medicines, paper, fabrics, cements, ceramics, cosmetics and insulation."
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Have Forged magnesium wheels on my Ducati, they are super light, and seem very strong, no dings or dents like my old aluminum wheels had. They hold up just as well as aluminum as long as you keep them in good repair, ie paint over any scratches or rubs that may appear. I would only buy forged mag wheels though due to their strength. The big downside is cost, if you have to replace a wheel I would imagine it being up wards of $1200 per. But if you take the time to search there are guys that can fix aluminum and magnesium wheels and can bring them in true better than factory spec. I saw some carbon and magnesium wheels for a C6 vette that weighed 8lbs, sweet looking wheels, very exspensive!