Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

JIC FLT-A1 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JIC FLT-A1 Coilovers

I'm looking into buying some coilovers pretty soon and i'm pretty sure that i want to go with JIC's. The only difference that i see between the FLT-A1 and the A2's is the amount of adjustability in the stiffness. The A1's have 5 adjustments and the A2's have 15. These will be 90% for street use,so is the A2 model just better for track use because of all the settings or is it actually built better than the A1 model? Thanks!

Last edited by Vroompsh; Apr 30, 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

no one has these?
Old May 1, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

A2's have 560 and 504 spring rates for front and back respectively...I can't find A1's but that might be a big difference for starters...I was actually looking at both options 3 months ago too...I'm still confused on which one I want too.

but to answer your question, the finish quality should still be the same, they share the same parts... A2 just have more features for heavier track use.

There's also a difference in the way damping is adjusted as well...maybe thru a spring seat or thru threaded shell case...

The monotube damper is designed for increased oil capacity and larger piston valve while the twin tube on the A1's is designed for longer termed durability...but durability is also effected by what you use the car for...

hope this helps a bit?

I know more about the Tein systems than JIC ones..but basically in Tein terms you're comparing the Type Flex vs the Type RA system...and if you're racing...RA or the JIC A2's the way to go. If you're just looking for a sporty ride system...Type Flex or A1's the way to go.

Last edited by mdosu; May 1, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 1, 2005, 12:16 PM
Former Sponsor

We did a set of A1's on an Evo, and I must say, they are the best handling/riding setup that's left the shop.

I can't say enough good things about them. Super high quality and work flawlessly.

The only downer is the cost.
Old May 1, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

sweet, this definitly helps i'm going to go with the A1's. I'm not going for all that much track use so the A1's should be just right. thanks!
Old May 2, 2005, 07:20 AM

I've had some JICs on the shock dyno, and to be honest, I wasn't really all that impressed.

The problem is twofold:

1) The JICs have a lot, and a do mean a LOT, of compression in them when compared to the rebound.

2) They are single-adjustable-symmetric, which means that you have one knob, it adjusts compression and rebound at the same time, and by pretty much the same amount in both directions.

That means that if you dial back the compression to get it right, you have way too little rebound, and if you set the rebound correctly, you have way too much bump. There's no "happy place" in the shock.

Oddly enough, this pattern shows up in a lot of Japanese shocks (even ones that have supposedly been revalved to match the application) and across models too. I've seen this a lot in JIC and Tein.

I'm really at a loss to explain why exactly this is - when you look at the Bilsteins on the EVO MR, they have beautiful curves that show that someone at Mistu was doing their homework.

My only two guesses are:

1) Compression adds "stiffness" or "harshness" to the ride - you'll feel a lot of compression in the shocks (when a properly set-up race shock is actually unnoticable) I suppose they might put a lot of bump in the shock so that you can feel something when you turn the knob and thus feel like you bought something for your money.

2) A lot of bump tends to make the car "skatey" or "slidy". Drifting is big in Japan; maybe they are trying to upset the car on purpose to get it to slide around a lot.

On the plus side, the adjusters on the JICs tend to have a lot of control authority, and they're pretty repeatable, both on the shock (the same setting always produces the same force at that setting) and from shock to shock (the same setting on two shocks of the same part number produce the same forces) The latter point is actually a lot rarer than you'd think....

It's too bad the force range is so wonky, because otherwise they'd be a good shock (although I'd like to see a Schraeder valve on them so they can be user-rebuildable)

As far as I'm concerned, the only shocks worth the name are made by Koni, Bilstein, Penske, Ohlins, Sachs, and Dynamic Suspension. Moton and JRZ I haven't dynoed yet, so I have no official opinion on them. And no matter who you buy shocks from, you should get a dyno plot for *your specific shocks* or you're buying a pig in a poke.

DG

http://www.atimotorsports.com
Old May 2, 2005, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

point taken....i'm really just lookng for a good street coilover that i can somewhat adjust. as long as the ride is decent enough, than i'll be fine. i cant spend 1800 on coilovers, its out of my budget. If i could i'd go for ohlins in a second, theyre top notch. However, it seems for the money JIC is great quality. Thanks for all the input tho guys! anyone who actually has these, keep the feedback coming!
Old May 2, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, if you want independently adjustable compression and rebound, you need to shell out some serious cash...a la aroudn $2,200 for some nice Tein racing spec ones...they are freaking awesome, but expensive...
Old May 2, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

yeah its like "Full Customize" in Gran Tourismo haha