Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best performing summer tires

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GDSM
Kuhmo Ecsta MX's are my suggsetion. Best you can buy for the money and then some. Mine last roughly 25k miles.
I'll second the MX's. I've had mine for almost 12k miles, and that includes three track days, three autoxs and plenty of not so easy daily driving. I can't say off-hand how much I have left in them, but I think it's plenty given what I've gotten out of them.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xynon
I'll second the MX's. I've had mine for almost 12k miles, and that includes three track days, three autoxs and plenty of not so easy daily driving. I can't say off-hand how much I have left in them, but I think it's plenty given what I've gotten out of them.
Last time I saw your tires you had a lot of tread left on them. That was at your last Autocross I think.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

3rd for the MX, best bang for the buck. I have PS2's now and prefered the SO3's. For a tight budget, check out the Hankook RS2's.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:21 PM

I just got the PS2's in 275's and am dissapointed in their performance compared to the stock Advans. Before they were mounted, I was amazed at how soft the sidewalls were. I just thought that they were the new, hi-tech tires that are stock on GT2's etc. and that they must be the hot s**t tires. Turn-in response and slip angles on these tires is really dull. They take the crispness completely away from what you are used to with the stock Advans. It must be due to the 1-ply sidewalls on these tires. I really can't comment on the ultimate grip since I just got them and came from Pilot Cups for street driving - I just think there must be something better on the market than these (especially for the $'s). I had the BFG KD's a few years ago when they first came out and think they are a more responsive tire.

Last edited by EricR; Jun 28, 2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Falken Azenis Sport RT-615. Best summer tire out there shy of an R compound. I just traded in my MX's for these in the same size (255/40/17) and it's night & day. On the track they do better than the Advans ever did. The Advans didn't manage heat as well as these. As long as you maintain the proper air pressure, these things will be a blast on the track from start to finish. You can't have more fun unless you move to a dedicated track tire IMHO.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by detroit evo
One thing that I think is critical is the amount of sidewall stiffness of the stock tires. I haven't read much on this forum about the turn in sharpness differences between tires. I am curious if the Neova's have that same "instant" bite. I need to do some searching.
The Neovas do not have the same "instant" bite as the stock tires when run at the same pressures. I found that I have to run anywhere from 4-6 psi more pressure in the Neovas than I did with the stock tires under the same conditions. At those pressures, the Neovas are almost as responsive as the stock tires. A big difference I have noticed is the Neovas are quieter and provide better grip than the stock tires. The extra grip may be due to the extra 10mm of width. I only have about 2k on the Neovas, including one autocross, so I'm not sure how treadwear will be. I got a little over 11k out of my stock tires, I'm hoping to get closer to 15k with the Neovas. That may be wishful thinking given my aggressive driving style and constantly increasing power.

-Paul
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Falken Azenis Sport RT-615. Best summer tire out there shy of an R compound. I just traded in my MX's for these in the same size (255/40/17) and it's night & day. On the track they do better than the Advans ever did. The Advans didn't manage heat as well as these. As long as you maintain the proper air pressure, these things will be a blast on the track from start to finish. You can't have more fun unless you move to a dedicated track tire IMHO.
I was looking at these tires. From what i hear, everyone seems to like them. Anyone else have some input about them?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:10 PM
PPI
Former Sponsor

/\ the only bad thing is they are a few pounds heavier than stock
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

I just order the BFG g-Force KDW for my Enkei's. $540 shipped from Discount Tire Direct. Read a lot of great reviews about them. Can let you know how they are in about a week....
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Check out the Avon M500's at tire rack. I just installed 4 of them and wow they are awesome. Plus they are only $114 a tire, and they are one of the highest rated tires at tire rack!!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Avon?

I have been eyeing their slicks for the track days. They apparently don't grip as well as the Khumo's and definitely fall behind the Hoosiers. But I am still intersted in them since the new Ra's came out.

My friend with couple Stealth R/T's likes the Khumo MX's on his street Stealth. I haven't been won over yet. I have kind of been a Yoke guy since I had a set of AVS Intermediates on my neon. They just talked to me. (not squealing, just that indescribably communication of the level of grip available that allowed me to ride the edge on street and at autocross)

I haven't heard much about the Avon street tires. Let us know.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tak555
bfg gforce kdw... i dont know from experience, but i've read oh these forums that these will give you the same traction as the advans, but with longer tread wear. dont know on pricing though.
actually these are more slippery at a treadwear of 280. i would recommend the advan A032R's w/ a treadwear of 60 & they are $50/tire cheaper than the stock tire.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Got questions about Avon tires?? Just go to www.tirerack.com
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd be interested in hearing more about Hankook and Avon tires as far as treadwear/life is concerned...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
actually these are more slippery at a treadwear of 280. i would recommend the advan A032R's w/ a treadwear of 60 & they are $50/tire cheaper than the stock tire.
I've heard nothing but good things from people running the A032R for track days (not competition obviously). From what I hear, turn-in is second-to-none, they last a really long time for R-compounds, but needless to say ultimate grip isn't up there with hoosier or even RA-1 unless you opt for the H compound which obviously will negate its long lasting qualities.

Quick Reply: Best performing summer tires