Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Three Budget Coil-overs - which to go with?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K-Sport

I have gotten to know the guys from GSC a bit and for what its worth they are pretty happy with them. 32 way adjustment, quality close to as good as Buddy Club, aluminum body, rebuildable in the US, adjustable camber fronts and something about the shock adjusts ride height by moving the lower arm rather than move the shock? I think I got that right....FYI.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
For your feedback on the product, I'll give the first couple of people willing to try the Megan set pricing of $870 shipped. I to am interested to know how they feel, but I'm too tied up in other projects to divert any funds to this.
That's an awesome price for adjustable coilovers. People are buying *USED* MR bilstein/springs setups for $800-900...The MR setup would have to be sprayed with some sort of magic paint if they could outperform 32-way adjustable coilvers with camber plates.....For the same price.

I don't know why someone hasn't jumped on this offer. I would, but that would mean sleeping in the basement for the winter!

Lastly...For all those who believe that you have to buy a suspension setup that costs 10% of the vehicles cost new....Eat it. Show some solid proof that Megan coilovers are outperformed by Ohlins' on an autocross course that a 3x higher cost is justified. -Gabe
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwest
really? I wasn't aware that the Eclipses, Eagles, and Talons had a great difference in MSRP, unlike the shocks you are speaking of.

My point (again) is, save your money and buy professionally set-up pieces for your car that will make large performance gains.

Once again, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Spend it on gas, insurance, going to a track day, your GF, your family.

oh and I think your post was stupid as well ;-)

JW<- snob (use to own a 98 Eclipse GSX)
The difference between my '95 talon tsi AWD and the equivlent 95 GSX was about $6000 new. I paid ~$21,000 for my talon when I bought it new in '95

When I sold the DSM back in 2002, I could only get $8000 while the same year GSX was going for over $11000...

Same damm car, but a whopping difference in price. All I can say is the new owner of my old DSM got one hell of a deal.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrisw
The difference between my '95 talon tsi AWD and the equivlent 95 GSX was about $6000 new. I paid ~$21,000 for my talon when I bought it new in '95

When I sold the DSM back in 2002, I could only get $8000 while the same year GSX was going for over $11000...

Same damm car, but a whopping difference in price. All I can say is the new owner of my old DSM got one hell of a deal.
You can't tell that guy anything he knows it all already...
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoPirate
Apex and Megan are the same thing, same factory, same machines, same features but at a cheaper price. I'm strongly debating buying a set, you're getting quite a lot for the price. BTW Megan outsources ALL their products, but without the big name stickers, its cheaper.
Another option thats just barely above this price range is Tanabe coil-overs. Check out boostbuddy.com, Nate will give you a good price on the megans or tanabe
WRONG. All APEXi coilovers are made in Japan, save for the N1 ExV which is made in Taiwan.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

I think the EXV's are the ones in the price range we are talking about 1k right?

So are the Apexi's
Megan's and D2's all made in the same factory??
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fletch
I think the EXV's are the ones in the price range we are talking about 1k right?

So are the Apexi's
Megan's and D2's all made in the same factory??
I think pricing for the ExV is around $1,200 from what I saw on several websites selling them. Yes, they come from the same factory but they are two different products. The dampening and valving is made to APEXi's specs, whereas Megan's is made to their specs (?). I know that the ExV is designed for US roads so they're probably more compliant than their N1 Street or N1 Circuit sets. I would choose APEXi's product over Megan. Having 7 years of JGTC racing says a lot.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is another thread floating around with the actual manufacturer's info... I'll say no more other than some people here almost know as much as they think they do...