Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock Advans in the snow, dont do it.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17in is the smallest! MAYBE 16s but i doubt it because of the brake calipers.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, that's what i was wondering, if the calipers would be the problem...

i was hoping 16's would fit but i'm thinking they might not, and i was wondering if anyone has tried it yet.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Im also curious because the narrower the tire patch the better traction in the snow especially with snow tires.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

We recently had several days of rain and I've been eyeing a dirt field in the back of our new development for the longest time and decided to take the evo off-roading. The mud was pretty deep in most spots and it was pretty hard keeping the evo in a straight line even in the shallow areas. It was a blast sliding sideways and fishtailing down a trail however I don't recommend trying this unless you have a large playing field like I did where you can't run into anything. All I can say is the advans were pretty much useless in the mud and I won't even try to guess how well they'd hold up to snow and ice. A little word of advice to others wanting to take their evo out into the mud...DON'T do it unless you're willing to scrape out large amounts of mud underneath your bumper, a-arms, muffler, spring perches, etc. with your hands! It took me 2 days of hosing down the bottom of the car to get most of the mud out. My driveway had a pile of mud when I was finally through and, believe it or not, there's still mud in spots I can't reach. The pictures below do not accurately show how much mud was on the car because I let the car sit outside for about 1/2 hour while it was pouring hoping to wash away most of the mud.

Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

let the cat lick it off, they like cleaning stuff with their tounges. have u tried different ACD settings and what was the result?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:48 PM

well, another story to add to this....got about 6" of snow 2 days ago, babied the EVO home from work, no real problems....but now, the temps are hovering in the single digits and i took a different road home (later to find hardly plowed and just all packed, frozen snow/ice mix) and im coming down a fairly steep hill.....i press on the brakes...and the car instantly begins to slide.....starts to go left, i correct, goes right etc....until i finally spin 360...just miss a mailbox and finally stop in someones yard about 2 feet from a HUGE *** tree...man am i soooo thankful nothing worse happaned. im going to the shop my brother works at tommorow to get new tires immediately!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

so what is the cheapest solution to finding 17in rims for snow tires? I would take a set of steel ones, but i haven't been able to find anything. cheapest set on tirerack is $239 a peice.

anyone have any cost effective snow rim solutions?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe buy a set of used stockers?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by byron3636
so what is the cheapest solution to finding 17in rims for snow tires? anyone have any cost effective snow rim solutions?
The cheapest solution is used stock wheels. There are so many ricey Evo owners who go out and buy huge bling-bling wheels the day they bring the car home. There are plenty of stock wheels available. I bought a set in brand-new condition WITH stock Advans (around 50% worn) for $500 plus shipping from the EvoM classifieds.

Emre
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

thanks, i appreciate the help. I did find a set of not so bad 17in rims elsewhere online for like $105 each.

guess I'll look into some classifieds asap.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by byron3636
I did find a set of not so bad 17in rims elsewhere online for like $105 each.
The problem with those really cheap rims you see on-line is that they are made to fit several makes and models. So, they will not be hub-centric to your car. That means you'll need to use centering rings and maybe also spacers. In the winter, all these parts will start to get corroded and you'll end up with all kinds of nightmares when it comes to swapping wheels and vibrations while driving.

Plus, those cheap wheels are generally pretty soft. Winter wheels take a beating. You're driving around pot-holed streets and sliding around. Maybe brushing against the curb from time to time. You don't want wheels that bend the first time you hit a frost-heave.

Stock wheels might be heavy and not that great to look at...but at least they're strong and fit right.

Emre
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

any good places to look for used stock rims other than here?