Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nokian WR or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokian WR or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S?

Looking for a good winter tire for the D.C. area. We really don't get that much snow/ice, but when we do it can be nasty (mostly b/c of the lame drivers that don't know how to deal with it ).

I had Nokian WRs on my STi and the wet/snow performance was astounding. However dry performance definitely suffers. Steering response is a bit vague and they just don't inspire confidence like the stock summer performance tires.

So, I'm about to pull the trigger on another set for the Evo ... but I'm also looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I can get both for around the same price ... My guess is that the Michelin's have better dry performance, but the Nokian's probably are better in the nasty stuff.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these tires and do you have any comments that may sway my choice one way or the other?

By the way, these will be going on a set of 17x8 Rotas that are already on the way ...

Thanks,
Josh
Old Jan 5, 2006, 05:52 AM

I have the Michelins and like them, they are not too terrible in dry and the snow seems to be fairly good.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

P-zero-neros are really ggod for city driving where snow is plowed as soon as it hits the ground. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=174902 It is really not a dedicated snow tire but with all wheel drive it gets the job fine. You also don't compromise high speed runs on wet or dry condition as compared to a snow tire, once the white powder melts. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I met a guy this summer who tracks his car on the same tires he uses in the winter (in MA). None other than Nokian WRs.
I have not used them, however, I swear by Hakke's in the winter (4th set)
Old Jan 5, 2006, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Pilot Sport A/S is a great tire to have. Rides nice, great summer handling, good wet traction etc. However, its not quite tuned for harsher snow climates but instead light to minimal winter environments. If you stayed mainly to the plowed city/hwy streets then you should be good. Prob wouldn't recommend it for rural applications where there's a lot of accumulation.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
The Pilot Sport A/S is a great tire to have. Rides nice, great summer handling, good wet traction etc. However, its not quite tuned for harsher snow climates but instead light to minimal winter environments. If you stayed mainly to the plowed city/hwy streets then you should be good. Prob wouldn't recommend it for rural applications where there's a lot of accumulation.
Thanks Neal - and that's really the fundamental dilemma for me. I wouldn't really consider D.C. a very harsh winter climate area, but then again, we have been known to get some major storms on occasion. And I live just a bit off the beaten path, but not really that much ... SO ... how much dry performance am I willing to sacrifice just to be able to make it from my house to the main street (< 1 mi. really) on those rare occasions ..... hmmmm.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have purchased all my tires from Tire Rack, sans snow tires, for about 8 years.

The reason I have not purchased snows from Tire Rack is they do not carry Nokians. I keep an open mind with snows at each purchase and still do not find a better option than those manufactured by Nokian. I also have not found true 4 season tires that compare to Nokians. As I would like to give ALL my business to Tire Rack...

Why does Tire Rack not carry Nokians?