Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Trouble getting Evo's aligned that have coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble getting Evo's aligned that have coilovers

Guys with coilovers....

Are you having trouble finding someone that is competent enough to align your car? I have had my alignment done twice by the same shop. They put a 6 month 6,000 mile warranty on the alignment, but my rear tires are corded already after only a month and a half of driving (they were brand new at the time of the alignment).

Can you tell me who you guys are having your alignments done by? FYI- I have HKS Hipermax coilovers. With the front ride height at the stock HKS ride height and I raised the rear about a half inch from the stock HKS setting. My rear tires are so severly toed out that you can actually see it. It is horrible.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

What specs were you aligned to? If you are running lots of toe (in or out) you will be scrubbing tire all the time and it is the quickest way to destroy tires. Honestly, alignment on these cars isn't very difficult, there are no special tricks.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:56 AM

Toe and camber are the major components of an alignment. Too much negative camber and the toe being inward will cause major wear on the inside of the tire. I had major problems w/ my civic w/ the same problem. Ever since i'm weary about dropping my evo.

You may need camber plates. The shop can print you out your alignment specs, then just go from there.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
i just had my car aligned with the hipermax rs coilovers and after they did it i found out my right side shock was leaking...so i have to wait 2-4 weeks to be repaired. But when you got your alignment, did they loosed the camber bolts on top of the ball mounts? i know they didnt do it for me when they aligned it, but since my shock leaked right after i have had no time to figure it out.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must be lucky, my guy did it, 15K miles ago, all is good. Just a normal firestone joint did mine.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well my car keeps loosing it's settings. I dont have the print out with me, but it was a good alignment. I am trying to figure out why my car will align okay, but then a month later everything be off again.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

did you ask around in your local forums? i use a motorsports shop, place that does cornerbalancing.

how many alignments have you had? was it a joe blow tire shop?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoeWalker4G63
Well my car keeps loosing it's settings. I dont have the print out with me, but it was a good alignment. I am trying to figure out why my car will align okay, but then a month later everything be off again.
Make sure the shop torques all the fasteners properly. There is the possibility that your eccentrics are moving after the alignment. I make a habit of marking the eccentric washers so I have a reference as to whether they have shifted or not. I also think this becomes more important when you run with aftermarket suspension/big sticky tires.

John