Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

need good all season tire for ice/snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need good all season tire for ice/snow

Hey guys, I've searched the threads and can't seem to find a real winner on a good all season tire for light snowbut moderate ice. I live in KC and it gets pretty damn cold so we have ice storms which = hell.

I need to order some all seasone this week. We just got a good few inches of ice and snow and have been having to use the wifes SUV all week. I just took the evo out fo ra spin to get gas (the roads are in good condition) and it did well, but any sight of snow or ice and I'll drift.

Right now I have the Khumo EXCTA's or whatever- summer tires and love them, but they don't do anything in the snow or ice- I just slide like a kid on a wet bannana. lol

Any other suggestions for good all seasons that I could use even into the spring months? I can't spend more than like 100 a tire but also want something that's not going to be too loud at higher speeds. Any good contenders? For economy all seasons I've read some decent reviews on some sumitumo's, khumo's, and other off type brands that won't put me out over 600 bucks. Like I said- I'd like to stay around $100 or less a tire.

Last edited by smp3000; Jan 16, 2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can tell you one not to get-BFG G-force t/a KDWS. they suck in the snow and aren't even that good in the rain. i have some falken zeix 512's on the way that look promising. i've gotten good reviews from friends with them and the price is right.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

you really might want to consider getting a dedicated snow tire with weather like that.

i got my bridgestone blizzacks off tire rack and they are great in winter weather. not bad on dry pavement either, but i imagine they would wear alot in warmer conditions with spirited driving.

the investment in snow tires can really pay off though. they make the car much safer in the winter, and depending on how much you drive, will probably last you 3 or more seasons. i ran on mine from early november 05 to april 06 and there isn't much visible wear at all. i probably put about 5 - 6k on them.

and up until today i haven't had a reason to put them on for this season. but i think in the next couple days i will be getting them mounted, because it just got very cold and started snowing here for like the first time this winter.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:43 PM

Good advise MondoBongo. Blizzaks rule!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Is there such a thing?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Summer rubber for summer and winter rubber for winter.

On the winter rubber consider as pointed out the old school blizzacks (WS50s I think) or Hakkapeliittas. Both are highly effective and are used by rally racers who can not use studs.

Also while we all think about wide rubber for grip, go narrow on your ice tires.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well I'm not looking for anything that extreme. This really only happens a few times a year- other than that it's just cold. They say a good 2-3 snow storms a year. All seasons will do and will keep me safer than my summer tires are now. Keep in mind I'll be driving the SUV most of the time in BAD conditions.

My main concern is getting to work and then sleet and freezing rain coming down before I leave.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Blizzacks FTW
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:07 AM
Pocket Mo

If you're looking for a cheap but worthwhile all season tire set, look towards the Kumho Ecsta ASX, Continental ContiExtreme, or Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. Of course these will not give you the snow/ice traction of dedicated snow tires but they're hell of a lot safer than summer only tires in those conditions.

I personally use Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires but they are quite pricey.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

smp3000, it says your from kansas..can the weather really be that bad? lol
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

^^ you watch the news lately?? its FROZEN over in that part of the country!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I have seen the Continental ContiExtreme all seasons for around $100. I have had a few friends who have had them and liked them.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blizzak WS-50's get my vote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I bought my Kumho ASX's for $88 per tire on tirerack.com. Of course that's not including shipping.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Blizzaks are complete overkill for the conditions he's describing. While they are a great snow/ice tire there are other options that are less "aggressive" and will have better performance when the roads aren't iced over.

I have had good experience with the Michelin Alpin Sport. Good in the snow and pretty darn good on the dry pavement too.

Quick Reply: need good all season tire for ice/snow