Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best Coilover for street use occasional track

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not according to Works, more like $4,400
Look here: http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/...ale=0jp&acc=jp
Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Actually I beg to differ, the stock struts (regular evo) aren't really that good. They are actually horribly mismatched to the stock spring rates. They are made by KYB and all of KYBs budget shocks aren't very good, IMHO. The MR bilsteins are really nice shocks but a little too much on the softer side.

The excellent handling comes from a well designed suspension setup, sway bars, springs and a really tight steering ratio. If you've driven on Ohlins or KW V3, I'm sure you understand how much better the suspension can be.
Ok I gotta beg to differ.

7/10 Evo owners can barely drive a 100% stock Evo to its limits(myself included). And to call the stock setup not that good is garbage. Once again in stock form an Evo will out handle just about anything on the road hands down. So how can the stock setup be that bad?

With that out the way my parter in crime just put BC coilovers on his Evo and I have to admit they are pretty slick.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Add another vote for the Bilstein PSS9's

for the price they are hard to beat in both quality & ride comfort

ive had mine for quite some time (20K+ miles) & have even ventured off road with them, still working great and as tough as can be.

been to a few track events with them & they have proved to be quite capabale despite bieng "softer" than traditional coilovers

they are nowhere near as soft & comfy as my girls MR Bilstien suspension, but for a coilover i think they make a nice compromise for the street

about my only gripe with them is that the height is not adjustable without affecting spring preload, not a big deal for a street car, but if you want to dial in your car with corner balancing, they will require you to make some compromises
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

I'm leaning towards KW V3s at this point
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Just order MR Track coilover, replacing my yukky HKS Hipermax RS.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
Ok I gotta beg to differ.

7/10 Evo owners can barely drive a 100% stock Evo to its limits(myself included). And to call the stock setup not that good is garbage. Once again in stock form an Evo will out handle just about anything on the road hands down. So how can the stock setup be that bad?

With that out the way my parter in crime just put BC coilovers on his Evo and I have to admit they are pretty slick.
Some of that is correct but I don't know where you are getting your numbers from. This has been discussed many times on this forum, you don't need to max out the stock suspension in order to enjoy the benefits of upgraded coilovers. Because, the bottom line is, most of us will never have Micheal Schumacher's skillz. That doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy the benefits of coilovers. Yes in stock form the EVO will out handle most other "stock" cars. Most of that has to do with the sticky tires it comes with. Put some crappy all-season on the EVO and I'm pretty sure you will be singing a different tune.

I believe I have maxed out the stock suspension and am severly limited by it. But then again I go to road courses and auto-x events often and have now become thoroughly familiar with the weakness of the stock suspension. The springs are too soft to control body roll. The biggest problem with the stock EVO (not MR) suspension is it is un-necessarily harsh for the preformance it provides due to mismatched shocks and springs. The shocks are overdamped plain and simple. Upgraded springs would actually suit the stock shocks better. The problem with the MR bilsteins is its too soft.

Try driving on Ohlins R/T or KW V3 and you'll understand that you don't have to suffer through the rough ride that the stock suspension makes you endure. While at the same time handling and cornering speeds will improve. The best of both worlds, so why not? Better ride quality and better performance, a win win situation.

Also, IMHO the cheapo coilovers like BC and Megan are not worth the time and money because the 32 "click" settings they provide doesn't change the dampening curve much. And worst of all, they are inconsistent (click setting "4" on 2 similar shocks produce different results), also the portions of the curve they change are the incorrect segment.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Jun 20, 2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Some of that is correct but I don't know where you are getting your numbers from. This has been discussed many times on this forum, you don't need to max out the stock suspension in order to enjoy the benefits of upgraded coilovers. Because, the bottom line is, most of us will never have Micheal Schumacher's skillz. That doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy the benefits of coilovers. Yes in stock form the EVO will out handle most other "stock" cars. Most of that has to do with the sticky tires it comes with. Put some crappy all-season on the EVO and I'm pretty sure you will be singing a different tune.

I believe I have maxed out the stock suspension and am severly limited by it. But then again I go to road courses and auto-x events often and have now become thoroughly familiar with the weakness of the stock suspension.
That right there says it all, and I couldn't agree with you more. But how many people can say that? Most just want the "lowered" look. Any real performance driver will tell you "You gotta walk before you can run". If you put crappy tires on anything butt holes will pucker.

During the few trackdays I have done the stock setup with good tires and brakes is hard to beat, and I'm definitely ain't no Schumi. Not saying no one should ever put COs on their car. But to fully benefit from them one should know the characteristics of the car, feel the car, know what the car is doing, and what works for them before they make the leap.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I only wish people took the time to learn the limits of the car, most people are in a rush to lower the car for looks for the cheapest possible amount. A bad idea IMHO.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HxllxMan
Just order MR Track coilover, replacing my yukky HKS Hipermax RS.
Why don't you like the HKS's?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Why don't you like the HKS's?
They feel way to soft, softer than the stock MR shocks.... Try to drive to fast with them, and doesn't feel safe at all. I shouldn't have sold my JIC FLAII.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:28 PM

thanks for the info. I was really leaning toward the PSS9 for the price, i heard the rideability for day to day driving is good as well. I like ohlins but they are a little overkill if i dont really use the car for track use i hardly use the car at all! I have a 03 with 10500 mile on it!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

my 05 has 44k on it.... what the hell

+1 for the megans decent coilover. not too stiff but still give you gains over stock.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered the Megans from Zeus. Hope they work out
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:19 AM

Can you guys get ARAGOSTA coilovers in N America?
Worth considering.

I have them on my 06 Evo9 Wagon...not too harsh on the roads and not too soft for track use. Good compromise.

http://www.aragosta-suspension.com/