Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Before I sell my springs.....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I sell my springs.....

I have a question.

How stupid would it be to install my springs if I'm just going to be running track days and autocross?

Hotchkis springs.

I have NOOOO idea why I bought them, but I have a hard time selling things I decided not to use.

I'd probably be better off with stock suspension until I get a good set of coil overs right?

I just wanted to know some of the cons of running with springs performance wise and from what I read... there are NO pro's about running springs.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j14mp
I have a question.

How stupid would it be to install my springs if I'm just going to be running track days and autocross?

Hotchkis springs.

I have NOOOO idea why I bought them, but I have a hard time selling things I decided not to use.

I'd probably be better off with stock suspension until I get a good set of coil overs right?

I just wanted to know some of the cons of running with springs performance wise and from what I read... there are NO pro's about running springs.
Why would it be stupid? I'm not sure what you read, but coilovers are not always the answer. I'd say for 90% of people who buy Evo's, a good set of lowering springs *IS* the answer. They will give those people all the performance they will ever need (street use), the drop they want, at the price they want without the hit in ride quality.

Coilovers generally run much higher spring rates and therefore degrade ride quality, cost much more than lowering springs alone, and are overkill for a street car. Which doesn't matter to someone who's actually tracking their car, in which case you need to find a well-designed coilover, made with performance in mind (not just looks).
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

to be honest... i could care less about looks haha. my car could be 1000 ft off the ground as long as it handels well.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Definitely coilovers then BUT you will sacrifice comfort if daily driving.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

I had the Hotchkis springs on my EVO, and they were much better than stock for daily driving situations.

But for higher speeds, like at the track, I would use springs that are little stiffer than stock like Tanabe or Swift (IMHO).

If you are not going to play around with your alignment settings, use the springs until they wear out your dampners, then go with the coilovers.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by j14mp
to be honest... i could care less about looks haha. my car could be 1000 ft off the ground as long as it handels well.
The Evo handles very well stock. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, or has an Ariel Atom in the garage. Honestly if performance is all you care about then just drive the car and enjoy. At some point down the road your skills may exceed the limits of the stock suspension, then maybe start looking at upgrades.

Probably not what you want to hear, people seem driven to dump money into these cars first and ask questions later.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

^True story
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noob4life
The Evo handles very well stock. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it, or has an Ariel Atom in the garage. Honestly if performance is all you care about then just drive the car and enjoy. At some point down the road your skills may exceed the limits of the stock suspension, then maybe start looking at upgrades.

Probably not what you want to hear, people seem driven to dump money into these cars first and ask questions later.
No no believe me I know that....

what im saying is i bought the springs, no idea why, but i have a hard time letting things like that go to waste... It was an of the moment thing. I am very satisfied with stock suspension but when it comes to track days next year, its not what im going to want. If I was a total rookie then ok but I've had cars in the past that would walk allll over my evo in every aspect...