Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best sway bars / biggest sway reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best sway bars / biggest sway reduction?

Right now, as far as suspension, all I have are a set of Espelir springson my IX. I am looking to go with a set of Tein Superstreet coilovers real soon.

To complement my coilovers, I wanted to know from you guys out there with experience, what anti sway bars out there offer the most sway reduction, the evo flexes quite a bit during hard cornering.

On my MY06 S2k, I have Tein Flex and Cusco sway bars, and the sway is reduced greatly. On the EVO, the diameter on the Cusco sway bars are not as thick as the S2k.

So:

1) Anyone have the Tein SS on their EVO? Is it too harsh on the soft setting? How is the overall quality?

2) What are the best sway bars out there to reduce body flexing overall?

Thanks for all the input.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Man to tell you the truth the evo rides rough anyways and I have Tein Super Race installed on my car and i dont think they are too rough for everyday driving. Yes they are alot harder but not that bad. Also these are the stiffest Tein they have out. So get them and enjoy
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

whiteline i think? makes a 27mm rear sway bar....

bigger isnt always better though...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was very impressed with the Perrin bar with stout mounts. Easy fitment and really a nice piece. I am not the owner though, just helped with the install but he seems to enjoy it.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info. Anyone else with sway bar experience that would like to chime in?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowSportSedan
whiteline i think? makes a 27mm rear sway bar....

Whiteline's 24mm solid bar for the rear is what I have on my car. It has three settings. Middle setting is equivalent to 24mm, softest is 22mm (I think), and hardest is supposed to be equivalent to 27mm. So says their website.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'd suggest IF you do upgrade them, to upgrade both front and rear. Upgrading just the rear, IMO will make it too tail happy, which will make you feel faster, but not nessacerily be faster. Of course, it all depends on driving style, etc.

The rear is a sinch to install, but the front will be more challanging.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm getting cusco 25 front and rear, so I'll keep ya posted
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I'd suggest IF you do upgrade them, to upgrade both front and rear. Upgrading just the rear, IMO will make it too tail happy, which will make you feel faster, but not nessacerily be faster. Of course, it all depends on driving style, etc.

The rear is a sinch to install, but the front will be more challanging.
If you're going to go with the largest, stiffest one you can, yes, you might need another in the front. But our cars understeer from the factory and a moderate rear sway should balance the car's handling perfectly.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowSportSedan

I'm sure you tried telling that to all your GF .

On a serious note, well matched sway bars can be an improvement over stock high body roll and understeer tendency.
The best way, however to correct roll and balance the car is through spring rates, as sway bars make opposite wheels more dependent of each other (taking grip from the sticking side transfering it to the more challanged one).
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) I would suggest choosing a better set of coilovers. Don't just get Tein because you come from the JDM/Honda world. Do what's best for the Evo, not what's best for the S2K.

2) Same applies for sway bars. Don't just add sway bars, because you did it on your S2K. You need to treat the suspension as a system and only get parts that have been built to work together or proven to work together through testing, and that does NOT include random non-racing Evo owners who just drive around the street and think their oversteering tail-happiness is a "good" thing. As Madmax referenced, I overcame the Evo's deficiencies through spring rates and proper damping, which allowed me to keep the stock sway bars. The result is a pretty much nationally-competitive auto-x/circuit (Time Trials) Evo that is still driven daily. You can build a badass suspension with aftermarket sways (front and/or rear), but it needs to be a tried and true combo that some Evo suspension experts have already proven. I recommend looking at some of the packages out there (Robispec.com, Mueller, etc.) to see what combos they have so that you can either choose one or get a better idea of how to build your own combo.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Dec 15, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I would try to get the car's balance close with the coilovers and then use the sway bars to fine tune based on your personal preference. There is no one-size-fits-all setup. Driving style and experience plays a big part in what will work for you.

FWIW, I think that Tein SS are a poor choice. The high-end Tein stuff may be okay, but if you are looking to keep to a sub-$1K budget I'd look at the Megans.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Dec 15, 2007 at 09:31 AM.