Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

brakes squeekin AND.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brakes squeekin AND.....

well i changed my pads about 3 weeks ago, and for some reason the driver side pad squeeks when im braking only around 10mph or slower.

Last night i made a pass playing with this g-tech thing, and when i hit the brakes they SHREAKED and for some reason it sounds like the pads might be touching the rotors while im driving or might be just me but sounds like a tiny scraping noise, any idea? i was thinking that the pads might not be sticking to the pistons like they are suppose to.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pop your wheels off and slide the pads out, its too easy not to check that... There's a decent chance of a bunch of things but one thing that can cause that, especially just on one side/brake is getting a rock or something stuck in there.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

the pads don't stick to the pistons...

there is a good chance that your pads are not up to temp and that nothing is wrong. I can't hurt to pull them out an inspect for wear. make sure to use some brake quiet goop on the back of the pad and also a little on the trailing and leading edges.

what pads are you running?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

could possibly just be brake dust build up as well, use an air compressor and try blowing it out, if it isnt that than i might just be the type of brake pads you purchased.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot of times brake noise comes from the type of pads being used. Aggressive pads tend to make more noise. Things to check:
1. Did you re-install the anti-squeel shims? Girodisc happens to sell some replacement ones. http://girodisc.com/catalog/product_...roducts_id=218
2. Did you use anti-squeel brake grease?
3. Did you bed in your new brake pads?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put some anti-squeal goo on the back of the brake pads, on the shims, on the pad retainer (where it makes contact with the pads and the pins), and on the pins that hold the retainer.

Last edited by emagdnim8; Dec 28, 2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they are Hawk HPS pads. Its only coming from the driver side front so i dunno what it could be, ive already taken it apart and re set everything 2 times now. I didnt put any grease on it or anything didnt think i had too but i geuss ill try this again this weekend and see if it changes anything. about it sticking to the piston's thats what i ment about the goop i put on it i though it might make them stick on there.

Ohh and all the shim's are on them i made sure that they were

I mean they arent damaged or wore, i just replaced them 3 weeks ago, and they are not glazed over or anything i checked.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Hawks and I can tell you I did everything correct. Bedded correctly (and re-bedded, and re-bedded), used BG stop squeak, used stock shims with grease, they are just noisy. This will last for about the first 10K.
I know, it sucks, I thought about swapping them out for something else because it was so annoying. There fine now, it just took the better part of a year.

Good Luck
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:14 PM

well i have that problem also. i guess the stock pads left a lip around the edge of the rotor and with these new pads it covers that lip and it been burning down the lip now for me i mean now its almost flat with rest of rotor but squeeks once in awhile.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem recently. I took the brake pads out and applied some disc brake quiet. No more squeaking, shreking. brake quiet forms a very then layer acting like a additional shim to hold everything tight. Because brake squeal is from vibrations between the pad and rotor, contrary to what some people think. Might help you you can pick it up at any local parts shop.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I changed my rear pads recently and had the same issue with my fronts squeaking at low speeds. When I replaced the rears and bedded the new rear pads, front squeak is gone. There are a bunch of threads on here talking about how to set your pads. If I recall, I did 4 or 5 stops from 40 mph and followed them up with 2 or 3 from around 50 to 60 mph to complete stop. Haven't had an issue since but I did go with the Hawk ceramic pads.