Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

GTR Face?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE

Now strangle me. hahahhaa

I can't believe someone is trying to say ADVAN is a cast wheel and they are over priced. We can also say altho certain wheels are forged but they aren't light weight and don't worth the money either. Because EVO is a track car and not a show car. Why put these heavy *** show wheels?? C'mon now.

ADVAN wheels are made by Enkei w/ their patent MAT technology. Their casting process is far superior than any other wheel manufactuers' casting process. The durability and strength of their wheels are very cost effective. Thats why Enkei/ADVAN are a much preferred choice in motorsports.

Majority of the ADVAN wheels in 18x9 sizes can be had for around $2000-$2100 shipped. (Depending on what options you get - lugnuts, hubcentric rings etc).

IMHO, There's no other wheels in terms of style/design and strength can even come close to that price tag. Enkeis are great but their styles and sizes are very limited for EVOs.

Rays forged wheels are usually around $2400-2500+ for a set of 18x9s in EVO applications. They are great. But expensive for a lot of folks.

WORK forged wheels are great. I can get them too (sold many VS-TX and VS-KFs in EVO and drift applications) but they are heavy. They are more of a show wheels than anything. I wouldn't even put those on my EVO. Don't even bring up the CR-Kai and SA-Ss wheels, they are heavy compare to ADVANs and I dont' think they even come close to ADVAN in terms of design and selections.

Here is a little more info on Enkei's (also ADVAN) MAT technology.

ENKEI's Original and latest rim process technology!
Enkei developed a new manufacturing process to produce the next aluminum wheel generation. The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process. Using this new technology of casting and rim forming by M.A.T process, is critical to improve drastically the material property and strength of the wheels.

Well balanced thinning rim thickness, weight reduction and anti-flex structure in high dimension by M.A.T process
Following the high performance trend every year, tires and wheels are getting larger year after year. In order to reduce weight under a vehicle's suspension, it is important to reduce the wheel weight. The M.A.T process improves the mechanical property of the rim section by shaving the rim's thickness and therefore reducing wheel weight. This latest manufacturing technology and wheel engineering is a direct feedback.

The second generation of MAT
There is evolution type of MAT by pursuit some of points at MAT process which the best rim profile, detail of manufacturing process and build up the through motor sports activities.
It “MAT-DURA FLOW FORMING”
It has more strong strength and good metal flow than previous MAT
And, it is also strength to exceed much forging wheels.

New generation of light weight wheels!
The process to manufacture forged wheels and the material necessary to produce it have a very high cost. Many end users understand the benefits of the forged wheels but they cannot afford it. ENKEI's new generation of light weight wheels, made with the M.A.T Process, achieves light weight, strong and anti-flex properties while keeping the cost accesible to the end user. The high performance properties and the reasonable cost is definetely catching the attention of sport wheel users.

Similar performance as forged wheels while keeping freedom of design using ENKEI's original new manufacturing technology!
The weakest point of wheels Is the fact that It limits the freedom of design. ENKEI has year of experience developing light weight casted wheels using Its high-tech casting technology. Combining Enkei's high-tech casting technology with the new M.A.T Process, Enkei will develop new products with better performance than forged wheels without the limitation of design.

Last edited by Speed Element; Mar 7, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

The difference is quite evident..

EVO w/ Advan (GTR Face) thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=advan

WRX/STi w/ Advan (flat face) thread:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...t=advan+wheels
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here Speedelement, so we don't have to click on the links and scroll thru. Isn't that the speedelement evo too?? Looks real good. IMO the ones on the Evo look so much better.

This:

Compared to:

Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

^omg that hawtness
Old Mar 8, 2008, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Speed Element
GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE GTR FACE

Now strangle me. hahahhaa
Haha...nah, I said I'd strangle the guy who started the term GTR face. Plus, if I strangled you then how would people get hot wheels like those CONCAVE RG-IIs.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I you look at a +22 TE37 and a +35 offset TE37 you will see the huge difference in the face. Some rims/tires that are GTR offset will not fit in your fenderwells without modification or will rub. Even lower offsets are used on widebody cars.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Mar 8, 2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:45 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by WhatNoise???
I hate both of those terms GTR-faced and concave. It's technically convex …
It all depends on which part you're referring to. The actually face of the wheel is concave while the spokes are convex. So the terms concave-faced or convex-spoked would work.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ha! True. Concave or convex depending on your origin. If that is the hub then they are concave. If the origin is the person looking at the rims then they are convex. Either way they are fn hot!

I think Speed Element put that one guy's foot in his mouth with that post about Advan's MAT technology. I love it!

Last edited by TURBevO8; Mar 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

My White Evo with 18x9.5 + 29 GTR bought from Speedelement. Ask for Cal when you call and he can hook you up.

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ultradef
I hate the term "GTR face"...who started calling them this? I'd like to strangle them. Just call them concave!
+1
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

tlclee, what size tire and did you have to roll the fenders to get them to fit?