Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front Brembo Calipers on Rear Disc?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Front Brembo Calipers on Rear Disc?

Hi guys I just got an EVO VII and have ordered a Ksport 13" big brake kit. My question is, does anyone know if the front caliper would fit on the rear disc? I want to balance out the brakes without having to invest in another kit.

I assume the problem would be the bracket to hold the caliper would not work back? I had fabricated a bracket for my previous car a Mitsu FTO when I converted to a wilwood caliper and EVO VI disc. Curious as to whether anyone has tried this before.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:58 PM

what are you going to do about the brembo brakes
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have thought about it too. I was thinking of getting 6 pots in the front and putting the stock front 4 pots in the rear with the front rotors....hmm. I've really got no clue.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:04 PM

I would have thought a front brembo on the rear would be overkill. Especially if your fronts are uprated. In effect if your fronts have a better stopping power it means the weight will pitch further forward and make the rear lighter and therefor easier to brake..

If im completely wrong in my theory it still seems like alot of work for little gain.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:09 PM

If I leave the back as is the front will have a stronger bias than factory. By using the front calipers on the smaller back discs it will balance out the bias a bit closer to factory and at the same time provide more stopping power, the front will still be stronger on the wider discs and upgraded calipers. Most of the braking is done at the front but it can still be dangerous to have too much there.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by redline7
If I leave the back as is the front will have a stronger bias than factory. By using the front calipers on the smaller back discs it will balance out the bias a bit closer to factory and at the same time provide more stopping power, the front will still be stronger on the wider discs and upgraded calipers. Most of the braking is done at the front but it can still be dangerous to have too much there.
Will it be closer to standard though? Given the extra braking force at the front the centre of gravity will surely change towards the front of the car and make the rears over powerfull..?
Ive not researched but as an 'engineer' this is how i would understand it.

The only advantage i could think would be that bigger brakes have a larger surface area so would disperse heat more efficiently so make them better in terms of brake fade.

On the other hand if your rear brakes are better and you adjust the bias there is a chance you would be able to put more braking force to the front to make the fronts better still..

Maybe it is worth the effort.. Im gona go searching brake science now.. lol!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:56 PM

LOL ok had to read that a couple times.
I'm no engineer but the way I understand it is this. Most guys who upgrade to big brakes will buy both front or back or advise that you do, this is not an option for me because of the cost.

Say right now on a stock car the brake bias is 65%front/35% rear. That's my guess average anyway. If I only upgrade the front then my bias will change maybe to 80/20? So by putting the larger caliper to the back I was hoping to get the bias closer back to the 65/35. Does that make sense? My guess would be if I put too much bias to the front, the car will want to nose diver harder on heavy braking, lightening up the back and possibly causing the back to want to come out a bit which is counterproductive to braking which should be linear.

Having said all of that, I know alot of people who only upgrade the front so I'm sure it would be ok, but I thought since I already have them why not give it a shot.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 05:01 PM

Interesting idea! Someone do it! LOL