Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What size sway bars do you guys recommend??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size sway bars do you guys recommend??

What size sway bars should I use?? I plan to auto-x and do some track runs at Road America someday. I want handling to be as close to nuetral as possible. These are the choices I have: rear 23mm, rear 18mm, front 25mm and front 21mm. I was think about going with the near stock setup of 25mm front and 23mm rear.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Have you driven at Road America before? If not, don't go for neutral handling. Set it up for understeer. Road America is NOT a good course for the aspiring Solo I driver to learn on. I was up there last week w/ the Lexus Driving school and you really DON'T want to go off track. Concrete everywhere.

Since you're in the Chi-town area, check out this site:
http://my.execpc.com/~mcscc/

I used to belong to this organization, and am looking to start back up. The next event is at Gingerman, a really nice track to get started. Almost impossible to crash your car into a barrier. The only worry is to not have the car crossed up when you go off-roading. The soil is pretty soft and sandy, so the potential for flipping the car exists.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

What do you think I should use for an auto-x setup?? I'm still very not sure about Road America though. Right now I just want to find a good auto-x setup. So do you think the 25mm front and 23mm rear is a good choice??
Old Aug 18, 2003, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

I'd probably try just the rear first. This should make the car handle more neutral. I also assume that you've performed an alignment, too and set the front camber to it maximum negative setting. Try a just a bit toe-out for faster turn-in.

In fairness, for Solo-II, I really don't think you should bother at all w/ sways. There's enough flexibility in the stock settings that you can try many settings to the get the car to push, be loose, or handle neutral.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I am running the Cusco 23mm rear bar, along with Perrin solid end links. Right now it is on the middle setting, and I am picking up an inside rear wheel on hard cornering. Good news is that understeer is very minimal, and overal my times have improved. I am waiting on a set of springs before I do anything further.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 04:55 PM
Account Disabled

25 front, 23 rear is the setup to use for a street car, occassional track car, etc.

Those other sizes are whT Cusco recommends for gravel use

Adam