Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Perrin sway bar and stout mount issue :(

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perrin sway bar and stout mount issue :(

What you're looking at in the pics is the driver vs passenger side. The ring that was welded onto the bar appears to have been welded too closely together so the driver side ring is resting against the stout mount but on the passenter side it's actually resting under the stout mount and there's no other adjustment that I can do...anyone have any ideas? Did I get a bad bar? Here's a few pictures and also a picture I just drew describing it.

Thanks,
Matt

Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well your first picture you have a gap between the welded ring and the bushing, try moving it over, it should give you the clearance you need on the other side. There should be no adjustment, it should fit perfectly against the welded ring on both sides. I have the Agency power bar and it is almost the same design.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

one more thing keep all bolts looses until you have it where you want it, then tighten everything.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

That's part of the kicker with the mount/bar. If you keep it all loose with the way it lines up then it won't line up right. I talked to a tech at Perrin who told me the stout mounts would adjust slightly. I used a screwdriver to pry it over and that in turn pulled the other side off. Long story short after an hour of loosening/prying/loosening and eventually changing the size of the spacer between the stout mouht and the bracket that holds on the bushing it barely fit and by barely I mean...barely. Dan I know you said it should fit "perfectly" and by that you mean the rings on the bar should touch the stout mounts at all times?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Make it all loose then drive onto a alignment rack and then readjust/tighten everthing down. Get the perrin endlinks too.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

hey Matt,

It looks like you got the wrong bushings with your sway bar. Please PM or call me with your name, address, phone number and email address and I will get the correct parts out to you ASAP.

JohnL
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:22 AM

i know exactly what you're talking about matt! i had the same problem while installing the perrin bar as well.

for me, the only work around was to mount the bar/bushings onto the stout mounts while they were off the vehicle, which will allow you to line up the welded ends. then secure the stout mount and bar to the chasis. this was a real pain, but it works with a bit of muscle.

you may also want to check the clearance of the bar near your axles. my driver's side has adequate clearance, but the passenger side leaves me wondering. the softest setting leaves the least clearance, so i have mine on the middle with barely 1/2 inch clearance. i'm sure endlinks will remedy this.

good luck!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^^ Endlinks still won't give you more than a 1/2 inch clearance on the passenger side axle. I have mine on the middle setting and clearance is ok on driver side, but tight on the pass. side, still an excellent product. I noticed a big difference right away and no problems with the axle.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Can you guys post up pics of where the bushings connect to the bar? According to my pics I got the wrong bushings and after looking at more installs and more pics it doesn't appear as though the car should come into contact with the mounts at all and mine does. I went back to the stock bar and end links after what John said also trying to correct my noise issue which started after I installed the suspension parts - see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...09#post6130109

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Matt
I had the same problem with mine. At the end I just elongated the holes on the mount to make it fit.

It wasn't off my much, maybe 1/8", just enough to make you go WTF! Otherwise, it a good product.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks John at Perrin...

Well the pics led John at Perrin to the solution. Apprently I got the wrong bushing package. The bushings should be much bigger as should the brackets. John sent me a pair pronto which quickly fixed my issue. Here is what it SHOULD look like installed (P.S. if you are having issues PM John at Perrin and get the new bushings). My car had already made about an 1/8 groove in the stout mount from the little metal circled welded on the bar rubbing it and this completely fixes the issue. This pic is off their site and is exactly what mine looks like now.

Thanks John!
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Thank you for posting this up.

JL
Old Oct 6, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

I bought mine from another shop. Would I be able to get the bracket and bushings if I send you pics? I had to trim the bracket to get it to work. This would make me extremely happy to get resolved.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone?...