Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Megan coilover springs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slvrr
Have you tested the springs or the shocks? Or is this speculation because they are less expensive? I do realize they are backwards though.
I should have said not as good as Swifts. Although it's partially speculation, you can get a good idea based on the number of coils on the Megans in comparison. Many others have tested them though.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 1, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old thread but anyone have the Megan spring measurements? ie, lengths and diameters?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
However, you really need to know valving/susp characteristics (aka data) to properly spring a coil-over. I guaranty Megan does not have this information.
Based on the information from Megan's webite can you make a recommendation?

DAMPER SPECS:
F: 120mm stroke; 280mm length; M2 valving code
R: 105mm stroke; 200mm length; A11 valving code

Front...

Rear...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
Old thread but anyone have the Megan spring measurements? ie, lengths and diameters?
I called Megan today. Tech support was very helpful.
ID = 62 mm
Front spring length = 200 mm
Rear spring length = 220 mm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What is you question? That was a 3 year old statement. Now Megan posts "data".

Those are pictures from the "Street Series". One thing I noticed. All their graphs look identical. Focus, Lexus, Evo...

+/- 2k, per Megan, can be done. They have listened to some of the requests. Streets now come with 7k front and 8k rear.

What do you want to do?

Variance between shocks? Matched sets?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I remember reading someone who ran springs from JIC in his megans. Did 10k front and 12k rear, I believe.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

The reason for the similar shock dynos is because BC really only makes like 6 different dampers for all their applications. The strut tops and bottom mounts are application specific but the dampers themselves are only specific to the certain range of spring rates and stoke length. I believe that is partly why they can offer such a nice product at a reasonable price.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shadow1
The reason for the similar shock dynos is because BC really only makes like 6 different dampers for all their applications. The strut tops and bottom mounts are application specific but the dampers themselves are only specific to the certain range of spring rates and stoke length. I believe that is partly why they can offer such a nice product at a reasonable price.
How does having 6 different dampers for 200 some applications make it a nice product?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the unsolicited input. Your opinion on coilovers especially lower priced ones is well documented on this forum. Let's not waste anymore posts on this. The current question concerns custom springs on Megan coilovers. If you have some thoughts on this question then please post. Otherwise we don't need to hear the GTWorx rant.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry, just an honest question. I'll keep it to myself next time.

With the info they gave, pick a spring length in the right diameter (probably use 65mm) that has more stroke than the stroke the damper does, so that the spring does not bind/block before the damper bottoms out. Eibach, Hyperco, and Swift all list this information for their springs.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice Andrew!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

What is you question? That was a 3 year old statement. Now Megan posts "data".

Those are pictures from the "Street Series". One thing I noticed. All their graphs look identical. Focus, Lexus, Evo...

+/- 2k, per Megan, can be done. They have listened to some of the requests. Streets now come with 7k front and 8k rear.

What do you want to do?

Variance between shocks? Matched sets?
I understand your initial post is old, but you stated that if you were given data you could make a recommendation for proper spring rates. Therefore, based on the data given for the street series what is your recommendation of spring rates for a street car.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
I understand your initial post is old, but you stated that if you were given data you could make a recommendation for proper spring rates. Therefore, based on the data given for the street series what is your recommendation of spring rates for a street car.
Which do you have? Old or newer version? Do the olds have the same inserts?

Megan Street Series with the 5k front and 7k rear, and on a street car with street tires. What is there to change? You do not want to go too stiff on street tires. They wont have the grip levels needed to induce that much body roll. Aka, too stiff, no roll, cooks tires. 5/7 is fine for street use. You're not pushing the car in AX or HPDE use. At most, 6-7k front and I would not go above 9k on the rear on them.

Last edited by Smike; Feb 3, 2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

The problem with soft rates on Megans is the shorter suspension travel. It may be okay, but I might go with the 7/8 rates.

- andrew
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Which do you have? Old or newer version? Do the olds have the same inserts?

Megan Street Series with the 5k front and 7k rear, and on a street car with street tires. What is there to change? You do not want to go too stiff on street tires. They wont have the grip levels needed to induce that much body roll. Aka, too stiff, no roll, cooks tires. 5/7 is fine for street use. You're not pushing the car in AX or HPDE use. At most, 6-7k front and I would not go above 9k on the rear on them.
I have the following:

SPRING RATES:
F: 62mm ID; 200mm length; 8 kg/mm
R: 62mm ID; 180mm length; 6 kg/mm

The insert data provided is matched to the spring rates listed above. The car feels almost neutral , but appears to be on the side of pushing when entering a corner hard. H&R bars set full stiff rear and medium setting for the front.

Quick Reply: Megan coilover springs