Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

whys my evo drive like $h!t in the snow/wet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whys my evo drive like $h!t in the snow/wet?

Hey everyone. So i just got my evo 9 about 3 weeks ago, never had an awd car before. I LOVE THE CAR but i can't control it for anything when its just starting to snow and theres the smallest dusting of snow on the road.

It seems to pull one way, then to the next. It really sucks. If I'm on a snow that hasent been plowed though and has packed snow with salt on it, it does alright...

Also I went around a curve which normally in my civic wouldve been just fine, but i started sliding...It was cold out but no ice??

Then another curve It was dry road but the smallest patch of wetness...not even a puddle, and again I started sliding...scared the crap out of me

is this normal? or is something wrong? I was gonna take it tomorrow to get re-aligned. all 4 rims have curb damage from the previous owner so dont know if something went wrong there

any ideas as to whats wrong would be great...someoen told me evo's are supposed to be beasts in the snow
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:23 PM

most likely its your tires...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on the car? What are the condition of these tires?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by allister
Hey everyone. So i just got my evo 9 about 3 weeks ago, never had an awd car before. I LOVE THE CAR but i can't control it for anything when its just starting to snow and theres the smallest dusting of snow on the road.

It seems to pull one way, then to the next. It really sucks. If I'm on a snow that hasent been plowed though and has packed snow with salt on it, it does alright...

Also I went around a curve which normally in my civic wouldve been just fine, but i started sliding...It was cold out but no ice??

Then another curve It was dry road but the smallest patch of wetness...not even a puddle, and again I started sliding...scared the crap out of me

is this normal? or is something wrong? I was gonna take it tomorrow to get re-aligned. all 4 rims have curb damage from the previous owner so dont know if something went wrong there

any ideas as to whats wrong would be great...someoen told me evo's are supposed to be beasts in the snow
I'd say you need winter/snow tires... I thought my X was going to be ok in the cold too... it's not so much the snow/wet that's the issue... it's the cold temps... as soon as the temp goes down, the ultra-high performance rubber becomes about as hard (and has about as much grip) as a hockey puck... even without snow on the ground, it scared the crap outta me a couple times... just my .25...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, definitely tires, I've heard a lot of folks say the stock Advans are really horrible when they get cold. Awesome in normal temps, but useless in the cold...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Move to FL.

J/k get some winter tires.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Nokian Hakapolita R's FTW or Bridgestone Blizzeck LM 25's
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

If there's curb damage to ALL 4 wheels, you might have a mechanical problem. In the snow I can understand, but you shouldn't be sliding when it's just cold if you're driving carefully.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Dollars to Pesos you've got summer tires on the car. It is unbelievable how bad summer tires can be just in the cold.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tirerack.com is your friend. Get some Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter and some Dunlop Direzza Star Specs for summer. THEN your Evo will handle like it should.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tiffany&coNY
Move to FL.

J/k get some winter tires.
haha what up tiff... and yeah floridas where its at!!!!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

yup, think this question has been answered. You need snow tires.

I personally recomend Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. They handle the cold great (I still drive very fast/hard in the cold/sand/salt crap on the roads) and they are awesome in the snow. Plus you can still have fun with them in the snow if you want. I have driven through 8 or 9 inches of snow and NEVER had a problem. Ever. I can go up steep hills, down, around corners (granted at speed I will slide/drift the car to carry speed). These tires are unstopable in my eyes. I will deffintaly buy them again.

Good luck! Get this done soon or just DON'T drive your car in the snow/crap until spring gets here. You don't want to wreck it before you really get to enjoy it!

Last edited by DocCola; Feb 26, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Stock Advans are even horrible in wet condition. Being that it is used, I believe the tires look bald right about now.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

yeah it could be a combination of tires and skid control. awd drive cars drive a little differently from fwd & rwd. when you start to lose control, you don't want to completely let go of the gas, stay on it a touch, otherwise the car will overcorrect and then you are aka f'ed
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

I was suprised when my car slid quicker than the miata. Rear tires have very little tread left, so i would check there in your case.

Quick Reply: whys my evo drive like $h!t in the snow/wet?