Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

255/40 tire on bbs rim

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedtres
listen to smikes advice tho, he really knows his stuff and has helped me out numerous times. gl with watever route you go man.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just for grins I'll add a bit more ..... I tried driving around on R-comps daily and after a month or so decided to just have an extra set of wheels for race rubber.

The R-comps pick up everything... sand, glass, bottlecaps, nails, rocks.... you name it if that tire touches it its gonna whip it against the side of your car or simply embed the darn thing in the gum like compound of the tire.

Also... R-comps stay nice and sticky only for a certain number of heat cycles. If you are driving on them daily and they are constantly getting heat cycled their benefit will drop off rather quickly.

I've had NT01s and they are an excellent track tire and they are ok to drive to and from the track on but I wouldn't want to run them in the rain. I also wouldn't want the howl of the tire and the sound of rocks boucing off my car on a daily basis.

Remember that the 255 is a bit shorter than stock. If you end up getting a flat you best of another like wheel in the truck as this platform doesn't like mismatched tires.

255/40/17 - BFG R1s

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Aug 15, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So not to thread jack, and I know this has been discussed a million times before, but...

I know 255-40-17's will fit on the stock wheels
I live in the northeast, dd the car and only have one set of wheels, so all seasons are a must - I'm currently on 235/45/17 kumho ecsta asx's
I'm thinking of dabbling in autocross/hpde (I will be doing one hpde event in october)

Is it worth going with a wider tire when I'm using an all season anyways and most likely will only use these tires at one or two events? I know even with stock sized all seasons, the cars capabilities are beyond mine as I'm a beginner who just wants to have some fun and get some seat time driving the car as it was built to be driven
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think its more important to by a tire with stiff sidewall that is sticky rather than a wider cheaper tire.

The stock advans are excellent. Find a set of used ones and run those.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Pick up a used set of 8 rims and get a AX/HPDE set going.

Or just get a good ultra high performance all season in the stock size and just have fun with the car.
The following users liked this post:
Nalos (May 7, 2016)