Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CBRDs Best street coilover...

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
What you're really saying is you want to stay on a shock and spring combo!
nope
Old May 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Chad, PM sent regarding the Öhlins R&T Coilover Suspension. (here and here)

Wanted to get your thoughts on these if you've had any experience. Car would be 85% street with 15% autox and road track. Trying to figure out a spring rate that would be best for me. I'd like to maintain as much factory ride ability as possible but offer better performance over the stock system.
Well I have CBRD spec DFV's and run fairly stiff rates 12k+ and they don't ride much worse than stock honestly. But my car is not exactly daily driven but it sees pretty rough roads in my area and is more than suitable to get around and go on trips. Ohlins valving and design is superior to just about anything until you get up to the big guns (Motons, Penske, etc). Question is are you prepared for the $3500 price tag for something that sounds like it will mostly be daily driven.

This whole thread thread seems to be more aimed towards you and H&R or PSS9's might suit you better imo. I mean if you have the funds Ohlins are the way too go for sure.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
Chad, PM sent regarding the Öhlins R&T Coilover Suspension. (here and here)

Wanted to get your thoughts on these if you've had any experience. Car would be 85% street with 15% autox and road track. Trying to figure out a spring rate that would be best for me. I'd like to maintain as much factory ride ability as possible but offer better performance over the stock system.
we are doing development now with Ohlins N.A. and we just installed the R&T's on our X, and have a few other custom spec'd kits recently..

they are AMAZING, but obviously in a different range than the HR.... as they are double the cost, and adjustable... but it is a superior damper overall!!

responded to your PM

cb
Old May 24, 2010, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Well I have CBRD spec DFV's and run fairly stiff rates 12k+ and they don't ride much worse than stock honestly. But my car is not exactly daily driven but it sees pretty rough roads in my area and is more than suitable to get around and go on trips. Ohlins valving and design is superior to just about anything until you get up to the big guns (Motons, Penske, etc). Question is are you prepared for the $3500 price tag for something that sounds like it will mostly be daily driven.

This whole thread thread seems to be more aimed towards you and H&R or PSS9's might suit you better imo. I mean if you have the funds Ohlins are the way too go for sure.
Should have added that the car is not a daily driver, but is my toy. So my %s may be a bit skewed to the average daily driven car. Yes, I've already gotten over the sticker shock.

I certainly wanted to stay away from the cheap mfgs (won't name names) since I'm not looking to get something that feels like I'm riding on a box of rocks.

Not to mention, I'm one of those people that prefer to do things right the first time than doing it over and over again.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the chance to ride in Chads Evo X this week was completely sold on these Ohlins. You would never know from the ride that it is a aftermarket setup thats how nice they are.

Now I just need a car to put them on : )
Old May 27, 2010, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Will Urlacher
Got the chance to ride in Chads Evo X this week was completely sold on these Ohlins. You would never know from the ride that it is a aftermarket setup thats how nice they are.

Now I just need a car to put them on : )
yeah they rock the ****!

cb
Old May 28, 2010, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

i found my coilover : )
Old May 28, 2010, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hitman28
i found my coilover : )
Based on?
Old May 28, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

So best price I have quoted on the H&Rs is $1540 shipped and the best price I've found on the PSS9s is $1850 shipped. For the extra $310 it may be worth the PSS9s in case I ever do track the car or for whatever reason decide I want the adjustability. Thoughts?
Old May 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Chad, whats your take on the Apexi N1s? I've been looking at something in the $1k range and aluminium so corosion isn't an issue. These seem to have a pretty good reputation.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Or heard anything about the Sach's coilovers for the Evo?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Humm...I did not even know Sachs was into the Evo platform. I ran their clutch on my old Focus ZX3. Great product. Link to specs?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Humm...I did not even know Sachs was into the Evo platform. I ran their clutch on my old Focus ZX3. Great product. Link to specs?

Sachs damper division and ZF etc are quite different, but they do make amazing stuff. Typically very expensive for their suspension solutions.

Apexi remind me of Megan type stuff (ride "ok" but inexpensive components) ...

HR ride amazing and use stock strut caps...
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice chad!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

What suspension would be good for strait line racing? Sorry i know nothing of suspension! Chad tried to talk to me about it but at that time i had blinders on looking only at POWA and going fast. My brother has the new porsche panamera and it definately will out handle the average evo. Thats something i would be interested in chad!

Quick Reply: CBRDs Best street coilover...