Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CBRDs Best street coilover...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Sachs damper division and ZF etc are quite different, but they do make amazing stuff. Typically very expensive for their suspension solutions.

Apexi remind me of Megan type stuff (ride "ok" but inexpensive components) ...

HR ride amazing and use stock strut caps...
Chad - did you get ahold of the spring rates?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered the H&Rs today! Thanks to John at Perrin for an awesome price. Can't wait to install them and my Whiteline roll center kit next week!!!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
Ordered the H&Rs today! Thanks to John at Perrin for an awesome price. Can't wait to install them and my Whiteline roll center kit next week!!!
hmmm.... i might just do the same very soon here. their shop is like 5 mins from my house - yeah that's right i'm the GG ix you see every morning/afternoon on brookwood
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pao
hmmm.... i might just do the same very soon here. their shop is like 5 mins from my house - yeah that's right i'm the GG ix you see every morning/afternoon on brookwood
I'm in PA. I thought Perrin was in Oregon. I'm confused....lol
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:51 AM
pao
Evolving Member

I'm in PA. I thought Perrin was in Oregon. I'm confused....lol
yeah, they are - ignore my stated location
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone find a how-to on these? I am pretty sure it will be cake but still would be nice not to go in blind. Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

First impressions are these things are FN awesome!!! Way better than stock struts and GF-210s. I am not sure how much the Whiteline roll center kit improved things as it went on at the same time, but damn I love the set up so far. Didnt have a chance to really hammer on it yet (but did as much as possible to I almost rear ended someone coming out of a tight turn over the mountain), but I am sure I will here this weekend. The way they handle bumps and railroad tracks is awesome and basically the car is much lower but does not feel like a lowered car at all. The spring rates and valving feel fantastically matched. I have ridden in cars with Megans, HKS, and Tein Flex and nothing felt this good. Thanks for the thread!

Last edited by TURBevO8; Aug 6, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also am curious about the spring rates. been leaning towards kw v3 but waiting for this thread to convince me otherwise
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoe21
i also am curious about the spring rates. been leaning towards kw v3 but waiting for this thread to convince me otherwise
You know if I was smart I wouldve found a weight and set it on the springs and measured the deflections. Then we would know the spring rates.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

First impressions are these things are FN awesome!!! Way better than stock struts and GF-210s. I am not sure how much the Whiteline roll center kit improved things as it went on at the same time, but damn I love the set up so far. Didnt have a chance to really hammer on it yet (but did as much as possible to I almost rear ended someone coming out of a tight turn over the mountain), but I am sure I will here this weekend. The way they handle bumps and railroad tracks is awesome and basically the car is much lower but does not feel like a lowered car at all. The spring rates and valving feel fantastically matched. I have ridden in cars with Megans, HKS, and Tein Flex and nothing felt this good. Thanks for the thread!
Did you leave the coilovers on their highest setting? Or did you adjust the height for visual purposes?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 06:32 PM

I find it interesting anyone is willing to jump into a purchase based off a statement without any sort of technical backing. What about the details of the damper internals? Comparable data perhaps? Hardly anything that can be fully understood off of driving on the road and just how "good they felt" to your calibrated butt sensory. Unless of course feel is all you're interested in.

Not a statement aimed at any one person, just an observation in general.

It seems quite obvious that some companies design to a higher obtainable objective, others just produce. Marked difference in functionality between the two.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Pics after install?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TK40
Did you leave the coilovers on their highest setting? Or did you adjust the height for visual purposes?
I adjusted it such that the rear would be lower than it was before with my springs. I wanted to level the car out and not have it raked forward, not only for looks, but to get it closer to the original weight distribution.

Originally Posted by ek9evolve
I find it interesting anyone is willing to jump into a purchase based off a statement without any sort of technical backing. What about the details of the damper internals? Comparable data perhaps? Hardly anything that can be fully understood off of driving on the road and just how "good they felt" to your calibrated butt sensory. Unless of course feel is all you're interested in.

Not a statement aimed at any one person, just an observation in general.

It seems quite obvious that some companies design to a higher obtainable objective, others just produce. Marked difference in functionality between the two.
I was not willing to spend $2k on a suspension that was not going to see the track. I paid just over $1500 shipped for these. They are exactly what I wanted, which is, a good set up for the street to replace the worn stock struts and Tanabe GF210 springs that I had. H&R has been in the game forever and have the race history to go with that. They use Bilstein dampers. Chad at CBRD is quite knowledgable when it comes to suspension so I trust his judgement and opinion as well as H&Rs reputation. I also did a ton of reading/research on other websites, such as BMW forums. These fit my budget and were just what I need. I dont need some 32-way adjustable Robispec KW set up for $2500 bucks for the daily commute but certainly was in need of replacing my tired stock stuff and ricer springs.

Originally Posted by edmundo
Pics after install?
post #319
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...thread-22.html

Last edited by TURBevO8; Aug 8, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 01:15 PM

Does anybody have any information on BC Racing coilovers?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 03:07 AM
Evolving Member

there are new ZF SACHS RACING ENGINEERING coilovers for the use with stock rubber topmounts, or aftermarket plates. Dealer price is 1300 EUR, they are adjustable, use helper springs.

They feel superior to the BILSTEIN 16's, and I tried those in MINT condition. BILSTEINS ride as smooth, yet these seem firmer in actual stroke, AND seem to give me more confidence on broken up roads because of that. Bottoming out is virtually non-existant.

WORKS has these for 2700$, but yeah mine were ~1550$ in europe

I DONT KNOW THE RATES and they're not published anywhere, maybe WORKS can help. They have them on their site for over 2 months AND NOTHING yet...

Anyway for those track hoes you can always buy a set of stiffer SWIFT rear coilover springs and a FSB and adj. endlinks to compliment these.

Quick Reply: CBRDs Best street coilover...