Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Frozen caliper bleeder valve

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frozen caliper bleeder valve

So I bled the brakes on my 2003 Evo 8 today, and one of the bleeder valves on the front left caliper is frozen. Will I be able to just bleed the other 7 bleeder valves and be OK with it? Or should I pull the caliper and take it to a machine shop and have it removed and get a new one installed?

Also, one of my brake lines wouldn't come off from the ABS line (I replaced the other 3 with SS lines). I would probably need to cut it and have the line from the ABS replaced, not really worth it. (It's the passenger side front, so it's a short run from the ABS)

Thanks...
Josh (who needs brakes?)

Last edited by Smike; Dec 28, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fixed font
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:09 AM

Anyone? (Thanks for fixing the font SmikeEvo, I had cut & pasted it from the Tristate Evo boards)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try heating it up with a propane torch some (of course making sure not to torch the paint on the caliper) and try some penetrating oil like PB Blaster or CRC Freezeoff. Penetrating catalysts and heat become your best friend in these situations. When you try to back the bleeder or brake line bolt out try tightening them a tiny bit first, then loosening and work it back and forth a tiny bit and see if it frees up at all and if it binds up again, keep doing that until it comes out. Hope this helps
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:12 AM

Thanks Bobster22388. I had soaked it in pb blaster, but the edges are rounding off (on both the caliper and the brake line). I was using an 11mm box end wrench for the bleeder valve, and a 10mm line wrench for the brake line (in other words the proper tools for the job) I thought about a vise grip, but was worried about crimping the brake line, or snapping off the bleeder valve or something. When it's not so cold again I'll take another stab at it (tomorrow). Right now the car isn't driveable, as it needs to be bled again (first time I bled it I found out afterwards that one of the brake lines was loose, so there's a lot of air in the system and I took a short drive in it and the car is not safe to be driven)
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Hammer on a smaller socket or use vice grips and get the bleeder off. You can run to a parts store and pick up spare bleeders. They come in a pack of four I believe in different sizes. GL.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revvin9k
Hammer on a smaller socket or use vice grips and get the bleeder off. You can run to a parts store and pick up spare bleeders. They come in a pack of four I believe in different sizes. GL.
+1 This is my suggestion too.

I've been there; this stuff can be a PITA! I've rounded 1 bleeder nipple and I had another actually crack completely off. The rounded one I got off of Vicegrips as stated and put in a new nipple.

If you've introduced a lot of air into the system - like by changing pads already - I'd make sure you get it bled.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:31 PM

Thanks revvin9k and boomn29, I'll try the vise grip method and pass on the torch for now. I may order the replacement hard line from the ABS to the passenger side wheel well, the part is ~$15 or so, plus shipping. Mitsu part number is MR493288 (And yes it will have to be re-bled again)
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revvin9k