Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Torrington Bearings, who's got them?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 07:07 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Torrington Bearings, who's got them?

I first noticed them on the PIC Performance coilovers, and thought that it was a great idea. I know some more expensive brand coilovers come with them also. They must serve a good purpose because even Hyperco make a hydraulic version. I recently purchased a set of used Ohlins, and thought it will be a nice addition if they didn't already have them. Wanted to hear experiences, good places to get them, and if I really need a set for both upper and lower perches, or a just the lower one. I've already pm'd Andrew from GT Worx. Just wanted to hear some others opinions. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 05:41 AM
chu
Evolved Member

27 views and no ideas?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used Torrington bearings on just about every coilover I've owned. They reduce spring stiction, which will increase mechanical grip slightly (springs twist as they compress) and cut down on creaking noises at low speeds or at a stop. They also make adjusting ride height super easy since you don't have to compress AND turn the spring when you turn the perch.

The Hyperco perches do a lot of the same but are way expensive and supposedly have to be rebuilt often, which is also way expensive. Torringtons should get you most of the way there for about $100. I usually clean/grease mine once or twice a season and replace them annually.

I get mine from Performance Shock (www.performanceshock.com). They have sets for 2.25", 2.5", and 60mm springs. Ohlins have 60mm springs, I believe. Buy 4 sets of them, one for each corner. Running 2 bearings per corner is fine, but it's not necessary. Put them on the lower spring perch (under the spring), and you're good to go.

They won't make or break your suspension setup, but they are definitely nice to have.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Spring twist takes a linear rate spring and gives it a bit of progressive rate change. But its pretty miniscule. I dont see it making 100 bucks worth of difference, but if money no object, yes they work.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:40 PM

Summit has them: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-7888-109/. A little over $50 to put one on each corner.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Are they sealed bearings??
They look like a pain to keep dirt and moisture out of them?
I guess on the track it doesn't really matter, but for street duty might not be worth it unless they are sealed from the elements.

Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:06 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evotech8
Are they sealed bearings??
They look like a pain to keep dirt and moisture out of them?
I guess on the track it doesn't really matter, but for street duty might not be worth it unless they are sealed from the elements.

They're not sealed, but the price noted in the above post is wrong. Its about $25 per spring purchased at a suspension shop. It may not add much to the performance, but I hear it great for adjusting perches. I think its worth it for my Ohlins!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Some coilovers actually come with these and yes, they're a ***** to keep clean!