Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

When to Rotate Tires

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question about rotating... Do you guys just toss the fronts on the rear? Is there more advantage to cross-rotating them if the tire design is applicable? (unlike azenis that are specific to left/right and rotation) If so, how many rotations would you go before having directional tires remounted to go on the other side? I had bad cupping on some azenis last year and wanting to do everything to not have the same happen this year to my Hankooks(already replaced hubs, got shocks coming and getting an A+ alignment after shock/spring install).
Old May 6, 2010, 09:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Old May 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

If they are directional tires, then you can only rotate front to back, not side to side.

Also, if you just came from an HPDE, your car should be up on jack stands with the wheels off to inspect your rotors, brakes, brake lines, and suspension components, including axle boots. I always do this after an HPDE and take the opportunity to rotate my tires (if I tracked my street tires).

l8r)
Old May 6, 2010, 11:08 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Also, if you just came from an HPDE, your car should be up on jack stands with the wheels off to inspect your rotors, brakes, brake lines, and suspension components, including axle boots. I always do this after an HPDE and take the opportunity to rotate my tires (if I tracked my street tires).
Sound advice.

Old May 9, 2010, 10:03 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If they are directional tires, then you can only rotate front to back, not side to side.
there's no one stopping you from rotating them side to side. it's merely a recommendation/best practice due to the imposed rotational direction and the potential performance degradation when rotating otherwise. i swapped my tires side to side a while back because i was having some odd wear pattern on my front driver side tire. i've driven 5k miles on them so far and there's no difference in dry performance - only wet performance took a slight hit. tires are yoko ad07's
Old May 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pao
there's no one stopping you from rotating them side to side. ...
You're right, other than common sense, nothing and no one is stopping me from rotating directional tires from side to side.

l8r)
Old May 10, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was under the distinct impression tires were directional for a reason. Running them backwards is a bad idea.
Old May 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pao
there's no one stopping you from rotating them side to side. it's merely a recommendation/best practice due to the imposed rotational direction and the potential performance degradation when rotating otherwise. i swapped my tires side to side a while back because i was having some odd wear pattern on my front driver side tire. i've driven 5k miles on them so far and there's no difference in dry performance - only wet performance took a slight hit. tires are yoko ad07's
There are markings on the side walls of directional tires that specifically state which direction they are to rotate. They are put there by the tire manufacturer for a reason. Can you swap them so that they are pointed backwards? Sure. Will it drive without too much issue? Maybe. However, you could also marry your grandmother like macgruber but it's not suggested.

-Jalal
Old May 10, 2010, 02:04 PM

I would recommend rotating em after 3-4k miles. Saves a lot of tire wear.
And as golgo13 posted... the x-pattern is the way to go... I speak from experience
Old May 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
There are markings on the side walls of directional tires that specifically state which direction they are to rotate. They are put there by the tire manufacturer for a reason. Can you swap them so that they are pointed backwards? Sure. Will it drive without too much issue? Maybe. However, you could also marry your grandmother like macgruber but it's not suggested.

-Jalal
lol betty white was hilarious in that one

Last edited by pao; May 10, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Here is Tire Rack article and testing of running directional tire backwards...

Personally I don't do it however.... The tests confirm only wet weather is hampered by incorrect direction(at least on the tires they tested).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=188

Front to back rotate and to get the inside to the outside I have been known to pay to dismount the tires and remount them then install to other side of the car so the direction is correct and what was the inner part of the tire is on the outside. I have been running a aggressive camber for the street so my insides wore. I dismounted then had the tires flipped and moved them to the backl and other side. Now the outer esges are worn and the fronts can wear the inside edge from the negative camber

lol kinda repetitive
Old May 11, 2010, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pao
lol betty white was hilarious in that one
She did a good job on the show. I lol'd a lot.

Btw, nice ninja edit!

-Jalal
Old May 11, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oldevodude
Here is Tire Rack article and testing of running directional tire backwards...

Personally I don't do it however.... The tests confirm only wet weather is hampered by incorrect direction(at least on the tires they tested).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=188
I'd imagine you'd develop some kind of tread pull as well