Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

swift spec-r's and custom valved bilsteins ftw

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
swift spec-r's and custom valved bilsteins ftw

I finally installed my suspension last night and the initial results are great. I only have about 25 miles on the setup though.

Ride is very firm but controlled...not the pogo stick like ride I got with the stock kyb's. I love it so far. I have an autox on the 30th, so I will report back with the results.

Its getting aligned right now. I asked the tech to select the -2 camber selection up front with zero toe and -1.5 camber in the rear also with zero toe. He gave me a funny look about the -2 selection up front...said it will chew up the tires. I told him that selecting the -2 doesn't mean -2 exactly, its more like 1.6-1.8 effectively.

This person is supposed to be a really good tech, so we will see. I just hate asking for specific stuff and then getting looked like I'm an idiot. I wish I could do alignments by myself.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have rear swar bars? -1.5 is a little high for the rear if your DD'ing the car... i might have gone with a -1 or -1.25 with either zero or 1/16" toe in in the rear
Old May 17, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran the same exact setup and long as your toe is zero, -2 will not eat up your tires. I ran -2 in the fronts all last season and the tires had absolutely no signs of wearing on the insides.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shh!! sleeping
Do you have rear swar bars? -1.5 is a little high for the rear if your DD'ing the car... i might have gone with a -1 or -1.25 with either zero or 1/16" toe in in the rear
Rear sway will come eventually. The cars use right now is DD with occasional autox. I REALLY want to start autoxing as often as possible, with more track days too.

Originally Posted by porsherules911
I ran the same exact setup and long as your toe is zero, -2 will not eat up your tires. I ran -2 in the fronts all last season and the tires had absolutely no signs of wearing on the insides.
That's good to hear
Old May 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shh!! sleeping
No. -1.5 is fine. Especially if you want to AX.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

smikeevo! just the guy i was looking for haha

just wanted to express my thanks for starting to push setups like this. i think a good spring/bilstein combo is perfect for an enthusiast who wants a nice drop, better handling/ride, and wants to keep it SIMPLE

this setup works out for me way better than coilovers would
Old May 17, 2010, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice set-up.

- andrew
Old May 17, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by McLaren F1 2003
smikeevo! just the guy i was looking for haha

just wanted to express my thanks for starting to push setups like this. i think a good spring/bilstein combo is perfect for an enthusiast who wants a nice drop, better handling/ride, and wants to keep it SIMPLE

this setup works out for me way better than coilovers would
I couldn't agree more, I have the same setup is on the way right now! if it wasn't for these parts being on backorder i would have had them already

Good to hear that this setup is treating you right, I just took off my Tein Flex coilovers w/ edfc and put the stock kyb's back on to compare the three, so will have a thread started with my personal results shortly. Btw, what size wheels are you running?
Old May 17, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome Robert!
Hopefully I will be out this upcoming Saturday.
And yes, you want as much camber as you can get, at -2 degrees you tires will be fine. Its toe that really chews the tires up...
Old May 17, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Nice set-up.

- andrew
a big thank you to you too sir. even though i opted for a setup with a bit more drop than the gtworx springs give, thanks for contributing to this forum with all your knowledge and data. people like you help users make an informed decision, which is ultimately the point of forums. do your research about all the options and decide for yourself

even though i did not buy your springs, and i purchased something that lowers the front too much in your opinion, thank you for your compliment and not jumping down my throat for buying something you dont necessarily agree with (like other people on these forums)

Originally Posted by PKEVO8
I couldn't agree more, I have the same setup is on the way right now! if it wasn't for these parts being on backorder i would have had them already

Good to hear that this setup is treating you right, I just took off my Tein Flex coilovers w/ edfc and put the stock kyb's back on to compare the three, so will have a thread started with my personal results shortly. Btw, what size wheels are you running?
i am just running stock sized z1 *'s. i had to buy them in an emergency, and i couldnt afford/didnt want to run a larger size.

i know i couldve run 245/45/17 or 245/40/17, but i like keeping my speedo and odo happy. the best size is 255/40/17, but i couldnt afford them at the time and they are a tad too big for stock bbs's
Old May 17, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchappy
Awesome Robert!
Hopefully I will be out this upcoming Saturday.
And yes, you want as much camber as you can get, at -2 degrees you tires will be fine. Its toe that really chews the tires up...
thanks man! ill try to stop by the super lap battle before i go to work

if not, i hope to see you at the autox on the 30th
Old May 17, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

woops I mean out at AX sunday, but yes, I will be at SLB
Old May 17, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

def put this set up in bout a month ago....so far i love it and its def better setup autoX over stock. as of right now i have the stock sway bar in and feels pretty good. my alignmet ended up being -1.7 in the front and -1 in the rear (prolly cud have gone farther tho).