Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: which tires would you get if you were in my position?
Buy summer tires and hope for no snow...you will only be in the cold for a few more weeks, then it\'ll be warm and sunny everyday
27.78%
Buy all seasons to be safe, then replace with summers once worn out.
27.78%
Buy snow tires. Sell em before I leave...
11.11%
I don\'t give a crap what you do...I\'m just jealous that you are getting away from snow and cold...and I am still stuck here in the dismal freezing abyss called the North East.
33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

If you were me, would you buy winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were me, would you buy winter tires?

Ok guys. I'm in a bit of a dilemma here.

The stock Yoko's on my Evo now have over 17k miles on em. They are pretty much bald and ready for replacement. At this time of year in VA, we remove our summer compound tires and put on winter or all seasons. But I am moving to LA, CA during the last week of Dec. I obviously won't need winter tires or even all seasons out there due to the mild climate.

But before we drive my Evo to CA, I will have to make some visits to Northern NJ and the Philly area at Christmas time. There might be snow....there will definately be cold.

I will also be driving my car across the US on rte 40...there could well be snow in places there also.

What type of tires would you buy next month if you were in my position?
Old Nov 18, 2003, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Even though it would the safe route, it seems it would be a waste to put A/S for a month, and then get summer tires when you move to CA. Not to mention, your stock Enkei's will may nicked up.

Buy my used Advans (shameless plug ) and hope for no snow. If the weather is bad, then just rent a cheap car for your trip. As for your move to CA, take a southern route .
Old Nov 18, 2003, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I have driven only once in the snow, with a FWD car last winter with some awful snow and all season and been okay.

I think the combo of AWD and all season will be good for you

Old Nov 18, 2003, 08:32 AM

I'd buy the summers and avoid snow. The rental is a good idea for your NE trips until you can get the heck out of here. Watch the weather on the way west and avoid the snow.

BTW, I voted the last option... we've already had a good snow here in "the dismal freezing abyss" of upstate NY, and I'm already running snows.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

In the past I have had all seasons on a car that came from the factory with summer compound tires. I really didn't like the trade-off of summer dry traction for the ability to drive in one or two snowfalls per year. I guess it really doesn't make sense to buy compromised tires if I'll only use the benefit of the snow driving abilities for like one month!

But you all did bring up a good point. I could just rent a car for the holiday trips to NJ.

Kdogg. However much sense it might make to buy a cheap set of Advans, it's the shipping charges that would kill the value for me.

I think I'll be getting some summer compound tires then....and taking rte 40 across the US...

thx....

SC~
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

If you are driving the car to L.A. then get some tires with some tread on them. It doesn't snow much in VA or L.A. but it's what's in between you need to be worried about. If you hit snow, it will be in New Mexico, Arizona, especially in the higher elevations.

Not to rob the thread, but the new Proxes 4 is M+S rated, so it qualifies as an all season tire. I can get them at a good price. That way you could have a good set to tool around on for a while you get settled, plus they aren't just chump tires. Toyos's newsest thing. Just a thought. Good luck
Old Nov 18, 2003, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

SC - I hope I have the same dilemma as you soon...
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:13 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Re: If you were me, would you buy winter tires?

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
But I am moving to LA, CA during the last week of Dec. I obviously won't need winter tires or even all seasons out there due to the mild climate.

But before we drive my Evo to CA, I will have to make some visits to Northern NJ and the Philly area at Christmas time. ... I will also be driving my car across the US on rte 40...
There is snow in California and surrounding areas -- just not under the LA "smog dome".

LA is a geographically small area, surrounded by hills and mountains. If you're never going to leave the LA basin, you won't need snow tires.

But you won't need performance tires either, except for track days or street racing. You don't need to wear out Advans sitting in gridlock on the freeway.

For the track, get track tires. For street racing, ... get someone to talk you out of it -- such as the local magistrate.

If you ever take trips out of the LA area (so you can actually enjoy cruising in the car), then plan to have all season tires. Napa valley gets winter; once you get up into the mountains around LA, you get snows, etc.

Or just park the car on the beach and make it your cabana.

But then, what do I know? I live on the "right" coast. I've just experienced one chilly March in San Diego in '84 and froze my Azimov at Mare Island one October in '89 (I left about 4 hours before the big 'quake. ). "Sunny California" my posterior.

Last edited by DGS; Nov 19, 2003 at 03:21 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

DGS,

While I appreciate your insight, you are preaching to the choir here.

I have spent likely 6 months of my life in CA over the past few years. I am fully aware of the climate. I am also fully aware that where I'll be moving to, there is no snow....and if there ever was a freak storm, the world would stop till it melted. I DO NOT street race. I DO track my cars. I understand why it is beneficial to own tires for specific uses. My last car (ITR) I had 4 full sets of wheels/tires in my garage for different uses. It is just my preference to use summer only compound tires whenever I can.

In my opinion, driving north to visit panty waisted vineyards hardly qualifies as a 'real' use for the Evo! Driving north to track at Laguna Seca...now thats a good use for an Evo!

But the question I asked, had nothing to do with all of this. I simply was wondering what you ('you' being everyone who reads this) would do if you were in my shoes.

SC~ who thinks dgs holds old anger against a geographical location :P

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Nov 19, 2003 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

tswift. Do you know what the tread wear rating is on those tires? how much are they?

SC~
Old Nov 19, 2003, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'd buy all-seasons. You might not encounter snow with your summer tires, but you will definitely experience temperatures below 40F, which will make the summer tires hard and worse-performing, as you probably know. You can take the risk driving cross-country, but I'd prefer the ease of mind knowing the tires can take the cold temps. You sacrifice some money and some ultimate tire performance, but you gain some insurance.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:05 PM

I am in VA and I just got my all season Continentials today. Last Friday it was about 37 degrees at 5am and I broke loose all 4 tires making a right from a red light. I didn't even try to make an aggressive launch. I was just driving normal. I could only imagine how bad traction would be if the pavement was wet or I drove it in the snow. I had the same idea that I could get by without changing the tires due to living in Southeast VA. I'm not taking a chance. Cold ADVAN's + Cold pavement = trouble. That's just my two cents.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 03:47 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
But the question I asked, had nothing to do with all of this. I simply was wondering what you ('you' being everyone who reads this) would do if you were in my shoes.
Well, okay. I'd never take a job in CA in the first place.

SC~ who thinks dgs holds old anger against a geographical location :P [/B]
If I'd been caught in the 'quake, I'd'a been angry.

But I don't like gridlock for brekfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. (Plus you can only get 91 octane, plus the governator, plus the power utility issues, plus the crime rate, plus the frequent LAPD inquests, plus landslides, plus ...)
Old Nov 19, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DGS

But I don't like gridlock for brekfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. (Plus you can only get 91 octane, plus the governator, plus the power utility issues, plus the crime rate, plus the frequent LAPD inquests, plus landslides, plus ...)
Never lived in VA then, have you? huhu. We have at least 3 of the 7 issues you listed above! But there are problems in every major city....it's just that they are different problems.

but you did confirm my suspicion. :P

SC~
Old Nov 19, 2003, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo spooling
I am in VA and I just got my all season Continentials today. Last Friday it was about 37 degrees at 5am and I broke loose all 4 tires making a right from a red light. I didn't even try to make an aggressive launch. I was just driving normal. I could only imagine how bad traction would be if the pavement was wet or I drove it in the snow. I had the same idea that I could get by without changing the tires due to living in Southeast VA. I'm not taking a chance. Cold ADVAN's + Cold pavement = trouble. That's just my two cents.
You may not have been launching, but I'm fairly certain that you were accelerating hard through that corner. The traction limits of the Advans are less in cold, but the limits are still above that of 'normal' driving. I'm out driving each morning at 6:30am. I have experienced some low temp driving on the advans....I've even had to make some emergency stops....cause I live in about 4 hours of traffic each and every day. Not one scary moment caused by cold tires....yet.