Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My turn to ask a question (springs and rear diff)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My turn to ask a question (springs and rear diff)

Hi, folks. Most of the regulars know that I've been fairly happy with my setup - factory Bilstein suspension, Whiteline F/R anti-swaybars, GTSpec trunk cage. The car is killer at 8/10. At 9.5/10 there are some issues. Namely, understeer. Understeer on entry, understeer mid-corner, understeer on exit. This is most noticeable on sweepers.

This being said, 99% of my driving is on the street where the car sees 8/10 each and every time it hits the pavement. It feels great. No complaints. The hint of understeer offers a nice margin of safety. While I would like to improve the car's on-track behavior, my primary goal is daily fun. That's it. It's the only thing I care about - ie. how much fun am I having driving the car. Again, those who hang out here know where I stand on most issues, so there's no need to repeat it.

I'm debating between a set of GTWorx springs with a RCK, or a locking rear diff. Which option would you suggest for my needs? Maybe nothing. That's an option, too. What do you think?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, GTWorx springs are the cheaper route. BUT, I don't know of anyone that has done the diff upgrade on your setup. I would be very interested in your feedback if you did it with the current mods.

Honestly, for your use and wants, I would go diff first. If that does not put a grin on your face with RWD like characteristics, then change the spring rates to decrease the understeer.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have solid tops on my rear struts, I think they are called pillowball mounts made by tein.
On the track my car feels great very little understeer unless I screw something up
With AX the car rotates great for the most part. (depending on traction, air pressure)
I think I am usually the cause of my understeer, when I get things right or let an instructor drive my car I always get good feedback on how my car handles.

So anyway it might be worth a try before sending out your diff

BTW im on bilsteins, gtworx springs, with tein camber plates and the rear mounts. Everything else is stock suspension wise.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
I'd also try the rear diff first. Maybe not the full 12plate since you're not on hoosiers, the 8 plate should work perfect and is $100 cheaper. Then just really cement the idea of slow in fast out. That will reduce understeer and give you throttle oversteer coming out.

Ill also throw in that the GTworx springs are amazing. Not to low and about perfect stiffness for a DD. This is what the car should have come with in the first place IMO.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I would start with an upgraded rear diff, that has made the biggest difference in my car's setup - both with stock springs and now with Swift Spec-R springs.

I would also look into replacing the rear trailing arm bushings with poly bushings and add a WL rear bumpsteer correction kit. I did both of these prior to the rear diff, and it did help braking stability and helped cure a _small_ amount of understeer - not nearly as effective as the rear diff, though.

l8r)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have been wondering about this as well, I DD and hate the understeer. Thanks for the thread. Would love to hear more feedback.

From what I have read, the rear dif is the way to go. This is just from reading though so take it for what its worth.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PAdutch
I have been wondering about this as well, I DD and hate the understeer. Thanks for the thread. Would love to hear more feedback.

From what I have read, the rear dif is the way to go. This is just from reading though so take it for what its worth.
------------------------------------------
10.5 hotside, Perrin, walboro, 3" TB exhaust, LC-1, Greddy Hd twin disk, hotchkis springs, hallaman boost controller, Rota Torque's 17x8.5
Along with the rear diff, I'd replace the Hotchkis springs as well. Those can't be helping your understeering issues.

l8r)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:34 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I really appreciate the thoughtful comments, guys. Thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Along with the rear diff, I'd replace the Hotchkis springs as well. Those can't be helping your understeering issues.

l8r)

Yeha they were on there when I bought the car. There on the mod list haha, would really like a half decent set of coilover.Im thinking a rear swaybar would really help out, so thats propably my next purchase.

Thanks for the advice. sorry to thread jack.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 740 Likes on 572 Posts
Look up my hotchkis vs gtworx springs. My car came with the Hotchkis kit also and the end result is its downright awful. I couldnt get anything other than understeer with them. With GTworx I do have understeer at the limit but that limit is significantly higher, and with a slow in - fast out driving style I can get a little throttle oversteer.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:32 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For you usage, I would agree that a better spring would be very helpful. THe advice on the GT Worx srpings are dead on. I've riden in a few cars with them, and the handling and ride quality is very nice. The pillows also help. At least ge tthe fronts for more camber adjustment!
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

springs are gonna help with boat like swaying the stock springs have. The rear diff will help with mid corner and corner exit understeer. Since you already have whiteline swaybars fr and rear I assume you have some of that swaying under control.

My .02 is to go for the rear diff upgrade. TRE and Shep both offer a great service. On another wise stock setup, I installed a set of Robispec springs and found that the floaty feeling during slaloms was greatly reduced along with better steering input. The TRE rear diff though made mid corner and exit understeer almost non existent.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

I would go with the diff first like all said above. Not sure what your plan is but springs realistically don't help THAT much. Although your stock springs are most of the problem. I went from stock Bilsteins and Swifts to custom Ohlins and it was like driving a different type of car. Albeit a lot of money to spend but I believe it's worth it if you have any desire to track the car. Even the swifts left alot to be desired at the track and I could never totally tune out the understeer with swaybars, tire pressures, etc.