Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

what are the best dd/seldom track brake pads???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the best dd/seldom track brake pads???

i am just wondering what the best brake pads are for mostly daily driving with only a handful of track days?? considering the EBC yellows.. let me know what you think
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Looking like the Endless SS-Y's. I asked the same question not too long ago.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...best-pads.html
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 AM

I've been searching around for the same thing and these are the choices I have come up with, ferodo ds2500, grand sport 5/6(6 is a little more of a track pad) and rb et500 those are all good choices.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

It seems the cl rc5 or rc6 would be pretty good too
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every EBC pad I have run dusts quite a bit, but that is a function of their compound and a slotted rotor can cause more dusting (as it allows for a clean sweep of the pad face, and a recess for the dust to escape). Drove on yellows all this past spring/summer, and they were fine pads for DD, track and autoX use. (light track use, no wheel to wheel racing, just open lapping track days) Also the blues have ample bite for DD in my climate (Ohio) just fine. I will share my thoughts more once I can track/autoX them next spring.

I would 2nd/3rd/4th/etc the motion to utilize a seperate pad for track work.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Merged your threads. Search, read the stickies. Stick to one thread.

Dust is a by-product of braking. There is no street/track magic bullet pad. You can run a track pad on the street (dust/noise) but you cannot run a street pad on the track.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

I strongly recommend getting a dedicated set of track pads.

If you're going to be tracking on street tires, you won't need anything overly extreme (maybe something like a CL RC5), as too much pad makes it too easy to trigger ABS, IMO - however you really DO need a dedicated track pad. It's no fun at all to come up to a big braking zone after a long straight to find that 50 feet into braking you lose most of the friction from your pad as it overheats. I've tracked on both Hawk HPS (running all-season tires) and Hawk HP+ (running stock Advans), both of which were not really up to the task. I currently track PF 97 pads, which are overkill for street tires, but work beautifully with R-comps.

l8r)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I run HP+ on the street and DTC-70s on the track. The HP+ are a little noisy and dusty, but the bite is awesome. It is not however good enough for a serious track day
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AdamWest
i am just wondering what the best brake pads are for mostly daily driving with only a handful of track days?? considering the EBC yellows.. let me know what you think
Didn't get the answer you wanted the first time around? I can already tell track days aren't for you if you're not willing to pay for a set of track pads.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Didn't get the answer you wanted the first time around? I can already tell track days aren't for you if you're not willing to pay for a set of track pads.
^This.

You have Smike and others on here who HAVE actually tracked their Evo's telling you the truth, but it seems to be pearls before the swine.

I have tried DS2500's and RB ET700's on the track, and it is almost effortless to overheat these pads with even a mildly modded Evo.

If you are worried about brake dust, don't want to change pads for track days, then the track is probably not the place for you. Going downhill on the back straight at Road Atlanta doing 140+ looking at a 90 degree turn (10A), you better have brakes up to the task.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:30 PM

thanks for the opinions guys... seems as though it is clear that im gonna have to get another set for the track.. but im planning on just using an all around street pad for now and then just invest in some track pads later on thanks again for the help
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for finally coming around. Many of us have actually tracked our Evos more than once or twice a year and know a thing or two about this stuff. While I'm pretty new at it, I can say with certainty that brakes are the #1 thing needed for a track day. Not power, not a full weld in cage, not 500 laps on Forza. Fresh track fluid and track dedicated pads are priority numero uno. There are countless threads on this stuff.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamWest
just wondering if anyone has used or thinks the EBC Yellow Stuff pads are any decent. I mean 100 bucks for pads.. they have to be good?? let me know what you guys think..
You also need to understand 'pay to play'. There are no $100 pads I would even consider taking on the track in my Evo. Good front track pads are going to set you back $200+

Understand that an Evo is not a cheap car to put on the track. It is real easy to make over 300 awhp and the car wieghs 3200+ with you in it. Brakes and Tires pay the price.

The flip side is, with a few well planned mods (starting with brakes and tires), the Evo is a great track toy.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:36 AM

Yep, you definitely don't want the stoppers fading on you mid lap. You'll just have to slow down.. but it's not as enjoyable.

Originally Posted by JDavenport
You also need to understand 'pay to play'. There are no $100 pads I would even consider taking on the track in my Evo. Good front track pads are going to set you back $200+

Understand that an Evo is not a cheap car to put on the track. It is real easy to make over 300 awhp and the car wieghs 3200+ with you in it. Brakes and Tires pay the price.

The flip side is, with a few well planned mods (starting with brakes and tires), the Evo is a great track toy.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking blue stuff pads

i put ebc blue stuff on my evo and they kick. i got to really test them out on the after the break in. i did some autox and by far the best pads i have ever used for dd and on autox i don’t know for the track but for what i do they are great. No i dont change them i run them on the street and on auto x really a good all around pad for me.

Quick Reply: what are the best dd/seldom track brake pads???