Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front strut help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front strut help!

I have a 2005 Evo VIII and recently discovered a leaking front passenger strut, and within the last few days I've started to hear the knocking noise coming from that area. I feel like I need to get this problem taken care of fast.

The car was lowered by the last owner and the car has PIC (Performance In Control) struts right now, I wasn't able to find any information about these at all.

I do about 60/40 highway to city driving and although this is only a daily driver, I want the best comfort and handling possible. I need advice on what I should look at to replace these as well as what all needs to be replaced...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

James
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

dude i'm milwaukee also. anyways, i have the same problem with my front passenger strut. it's starting to clunk but hasn't leaked yet. my previous jic coilover set blew and leaked all the fluids out. i haven't seen any replacement struts for evos unless it's just the stock kyb which i see on lancershop.com. they're pretty expensive. pm me if you find any cheap strut replacement. i'd also suggest just finding some stock units with low miles. that was my other option but don't really know the condition the're in until they're installed. good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...much-cash.html
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

^This
I would say either get a set of Bilstein HD's or a used set of MR Bilsteins from the for sale section. Pair that with a decent spring that is not going to destroy your new struts (ones that sit too low eat struts all day long). A spring such as Swift, Gtworx, or Robispec would be your best options. In your case were you want comfort and handling, which is a tough medium, I would go with the Swift Sports which will give you impoved handling but not sacrifice too much in the ride department.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:10 PM

I absolutely loved the way my evo handled when I got it and I really didn't notice anything wrong until I changed my oil recently and I saw it was leaking. I use it as a daily driver so I'm not looking for crazy performance I just want it to be like it was. I'm trying to avoid replacing the springs and everything, but I don't know how that's going to work.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:21 PM

If the car had aftermarket struts already and was lowered, would i need to replace anything but the struts if I picked up a pair of bilsteins for the front?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

I had this same noise on my front Bilsteins, we ended up replacin all four corners with Megan struts and springs, love the results even at the softest setting they feel preety stable and not to slouchy.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JamesKrickeberg
If the car had aftermarket struts already and was lowered, would i need to replace anything but the struts if I picked up a pair of bilsteins for the front?
The short answer is yes, you could just pick up a pair of Bilsteins for the fronts and they would work fine.

Do you know what springs are on the car right now? The only reason why I brought up springs is because a lot of the aftermarket springs for these cars make the car sit too low and are too soft which in turn will blow your struts very quickly (which very well might be why these are blown). I would hate for you to buy 2 new struts and to have them blow after 20k miles and you're back in the same position you are now.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:58 PM

well man don't rush into something it's just a strut. you don't wanna panic and buy something that sucks. a lot of people drive a lot more messed up things.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:31 PM

So I had a really happy ending to this strut mess. After looking through all of my stuff I still had the stock kybs fully assembled with the stock springs on them. What was on the car was a set of power in control coilovers and what I found out is the springs on those would not have worked with the bilsteins I bought. So I ended up doing the labor myself and I just put on all of the stock struts and springs which happened to be in great condition. I can return the bilsteins and get my $550 back and I didn't have to pay the $350 in labor I was originally quoted. So instead of a $900 repair it was $0. Car handles great, just need to get an alignment done tomorrow at the Mitsubishi dealership in Waukesha, WI. I am more than happy to say the least.

Last edited by JamesKrickeberg; Apr 17, 2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Updated info