Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CT9A Chassis Weakpoints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by vortecd
Thats what I'm talking about!
added to top: i'd love for similar parts to get fabbed for the ct9a!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:03 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if there is interest in bracing like that, i can fab them up for the evo. if anyone has one of those fender braces and wants to lend it to me...i can replicate it easily....
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I question how much stuff like that actually helps. They almost always lay in a plane so it might make that 2D plane stiff, but it will still twist like a piece of paper. The primary plane of distortion is twisting front to rear so that would be the first place to start.

My friend was telling me about some guy on NASIOC that ordered up stock sheet metal parts and doubled up in certain areas like the A and B pillars and was able to match the stiffness of a decent roll cage while adding far less weight and a finished product that didn't intrude into the passenger compartment. Sounded pretty interesting, maybe I'll hunt it down.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

^^ i think thats why the oswald piece has various angles etc and triangular portions of bracing.. not much u can do when its lying on the bottom of the car though -

i am hearing that those fender bracings are pretty significant though, as noted from someone else from robi as well in this thread
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JYD
if there is interest in bracing like that, i can fab them up for the evo. if anyone has one of those fender braces and wants to lend it to me...i can replicate it easily....
I like these much better with the longer mounting points.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ce-design.html
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vortecd
I like these much better with the longer mounting points.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ce-design.html
nice find!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sporting the fender braces and they definitely make a difference in stiffness. So what Robi says is very true.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My question is.. are you really that hardcore that you "need" any of this stuff? I'd say 97% of the people who track the EVO do not need this what so ever. Unless you're playing with the big boys and actually seriously competing, most all of this seems rather overkill. If you have a specific problem, then target that, but to just' say oh I want to make it better and I can't even figure out why or where there is a weak part of the car that IS making a difference in my results and or performance. Well I'm sure you get my drift (no pun intended by now.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some race series don't allow chassis streghtening - at least not for 'free'. That's why I've done nothing.

Put in a cage...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Some race series don't allow chassis streghtening - at least not for 'free'. That's why I've done nothing.

Put in a cage...
Why do they not allow chassis streghtening? So no strut tower bars? No RS trunk brace? No fender braces??
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
can someone help me understand what that fender bracing is doing? it looks like it does.. nothing

I have these on my car...awesome brace for the $$$...I agree with the stuff that someone posted that Robi said...My toe has always been off a little after every alignment but after the fender braces were installed my toe came out to a perfect 0 on both sides...The front end did feel stiffer to be in turns...I suggest them to anyone that does autox or tracks their evo...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the inputs -

as far as the overkill statement, of course its overkill. the entire car is overkill. an evo is overkill. that's kind of an age old argument that doesnt really hold any water here lol. i may not be hardcore enough but i'm definitely ocd enough.

point is, if there are weaknesses in the chassis i'd like to hit them now rather than later. if not, great. i'd rather not identify a problem by running into it first, not really my style. but i do get you're saying. no, i don't need chassis bracing. i want it because i'm ocd. i think a thread will also help people who actually do need it, if their motorsport rules allow.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29

Put in a cage...
Don't you need to wear a helmet anytime you get into a caged car?

If chassis strengthening were free is there anything in particular you'd hit? fenders, trunk/rear etc?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

that Oswald bracing looks intense....subscribed.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Another part added to my huge list

Quick Reply: CT9A Chassis Weakpoints