Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

CT9A Chassis Weakpoints

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody know if those fender braces will effect the crumple zones' design for if u get in an accident?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
Does anybody know if those fender braces will effect the crumple zones' design for if u get in an accident?
Send a PM to jplgsx...he hit a tire wall pretty much head on at VIR with his old evo...he had these fender braces on it...The car got totalled but he said there would have been a lot more damage if he didn't have the fender braces on the car...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the GT SPEC rear trunk cage which is similar to that works bar you posted earlier. There was a night and day difference with this install. My car was completely stock at the time of install so I noticed the car go from understeer prone to more of a neutral feel/slight understeer. The vehicles back end also felt like it had more movement during quick steering motions.

I also have the Nagasi front fender braces. I did see a slight difference when installing these. They were installed on a stock suspension. Steering response was increased slightly and it felt as if the car had a little bit more body roll to it... they also induced more of an understeer affect. You did however feel that the car was more stiff as a whole and not as "sloshy" in quick motion turns.

I autocross with these braces just as an FYI
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Interested in those cusco power brace kit.any rewiew on them?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Im interested in knowing about the Cusco Front Power Brace. The one that goes across the front nose of the car. How does that compare to the stock crash beam besides weight reduction?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm def interested in this
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I am too interested in the benefits of the front fender bracing
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Montu
I am too interested in the benefits of the front fender bracing
I posted something about it on the 2nd page and someone else did on the 1st page...
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

^
where can I buy the brace?

also in for more info about other braces

Last edited by Montu; Apr 26, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Wasn't there a factory guide for recommendations on reinforcing certain points on the chassis of the car? Not sure if it was just intended for Rally teams.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didnt find anything from mitsu about re-enforcement points but ill keep looking. just to help out i emailed oswald performance to see if lending my evo would help them get the braces out for people who are interested. dont really need it myself but if i can help move along a project then i will. ill post up if they get back to me.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Few comments - like i alluded to before I question the effectiveness of the Cucso bracing - considering it's 500 a piece, I'm way way more interested in a complete part like that Oswald bracing we saw for the Subie.

Originally Posted by EvoJoeRacing
Im interested in knowing about the Cusco Front Power Brace. The one that goes across the front nose of the car. How does that compare to the stock crash beam besides weight reduction?
I doubt it's supposed to do anything other work as a chassis bracing, I have no idea how effective it is.

From a few of your earlier posts I decided to check out what else GTSpec had - they have a 4 pt under-chassis front bracing here http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...ce-evo-viii-ix which seems to replace the two factor bars. Even with that I am curious how effective such minimal bracing can be over the two stock bars.

The GT spec trunk cage - http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...ge-evo-viii-ix seems good and equivalent to the works version.

Also FYI, Works sells the original single bar trunk brace that originally came with the Evo RS.

Originally Posted by spdtckts
I didnt find anything from mitsu about re-enforcement points but ill keep looking. just to help out i emailed oswald performance to see if lending my evo would help them get the braces out for people who are interested. dont really need it myself but if i can help move along a project then i will. ill post up if they get back to me.
awesome!! that would be amazing.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Those are just heavy cosmetic stuff. I have seen ralliart parts that actually cover the whole floorpan with lightweight strong aluminum. Available in japanparts.com
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
Those are just heavy cosmetic stuff. I have seen ralliart parts that actually cover the whole floorpan with lightweight strong aluminum. Available in japanparts.com
Could you clarify on 'those'? I have to feel like a bracing like the Oswald has to have a pretty good amount of effectiveness though..
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
I believe those are protective covers for use in Rally. ^^^^

While on the topic, Do Luck makes floor bars for the Evo. They run length wise with the car, seems interesting. Had the Carbing ones for my S2k.

Quick Reply: CT9A Chassis Weakpoints