Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

factory shield on brakes, remove or keep? (for a DD track car)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory shield on brakes, remove or keep? (for a DD track car)

hello, I always got mixed opinions in the past regarding keeping or removing the factory shielding behind the rotors, on a low mile-per-day daily driven car that sees the track every 3-6 weeks.

i will be using cooling ducts and nozzles as an fyi, ad may even remove them for daily driving to avoid gobs of crap going into my street pads/rotors. tell me what you think on that too or what you do...

and to the point, what do you guys usually do with the factory shields behind the rotors? in the past when building my cars we would leave them on for daily driven track cars, and off for the track only cars. some people would even say leave them on for track cars. i ask this as i have had multiple opinions with reasons for each i need not mention, because i want YOURS . thanks everybody!!

( a reason i was told before was that leaving the factory shield on helps with proper air flow through/off of brakes even with ducting, and also vise versa)
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

i figured this was a legitimate question
Old Oct 2, 2011, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure about the shields contribution to the the air flow to through the rotors, but I do know that the shields also act to protect the cv axle boots and the other rubber components from the excessive heat radiating from the rotors. Hope this gets some info flowing in this thread.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

thanks! that is a great reason and one i have always believed to be an important pro o leaving them in place
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for heat dissipation its best to remove the shield to help it cool better but you still need to protect the ball joint and wheel speed sensors. here is a nice solution to this. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8332574-post39.html

but if you drive on the dirt often i don't suggest removing the shield at all.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

this is for when the car is for track and stret only, may not see the dirt once it has certain parts without lots of R&R. thanks for the solution andrew!

see, we learned in our college classes how important they were t keep on, so the point is valid and andrew produces a solution to use the most effective and efficient.

thanks guys! a helpful post, why i havent seen it yet idk.