Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bad cv joint? Now with pics AND video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you take off the outside pass axle boot, and inpect it your self? add some grease, and then take it for a test drive? I know on my drivers axle( 03 galant) it only did it on left turns and straight aways, i pulled the boot off, check for grease which was good, but I was able to see marring on the outside axle cup (the one that bolts on to the hub) from bearing failure. Its worth a shot IMO to check it yourself

Also, you have to remember that both axles aren't the same length, so the axle angles in your pics are going to be different, unless I misunderstood what you where saying.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I confirmed that the front diff is on a different circuit with the trans oil. So I don't think you would've seen crap from the diff come out in the tcase fluid. It never enters the front diff. Regardless it still sounds like a CV problem.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely sounds like a wheel bearing. It will do it when you go straight and it will do it when you turn one way but not another. Sometimes they get a little part of the bearing sheared and thats what it sounds like. The explanation for the CV angle difference I'm pretty sure is the difference in lengths of the axles (passenger) is longer than the drivers side.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Update : Called the shop today, from the description I gave him he thinks it's the wheel bearing as well. I'll be taking the car there this week so he can hear it for himself.

Will keep this updated for anyone else who may get a similar sound in the future.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Not to threadjack, but can a bad CV joint make noise going in a straight line? I get slight thuds and clicks, predominantly when cruising off throttle. It isn't the bearing nor ball joints. My noise comes from closer to the engine, so I am suspecting the TJ joint/case.

When I rock the wheel back and forth along its normal turning/rolling direction, it feels like something isn't fitting just right, like something is slightly loose, and I feel metal banging slightly against other metal.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Problem solved! Turns out the bolt in the passenger-side motor mount wasn't there anymore, so it was the engine moving around that I could hear!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

im having the same problem after replacing the right front axle shaft so changed axle brand and new axle seems to not want to stay all the way in. also changed c clip on right output shaft. so let us know what that shop said.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shadovarian
im having the same problem after replacing the right front axle shaft so changed axle brand and new axle seems to not want to stay all the way in. also changed c clip on right output shaft. so let us know what that shop said.
Had nothing to do with my cv joints:

Originally Posted by Raptord
Problem solved! Turns out the bolt in the passenger-side motor mount wasn't there anymore, so it was the engine moving around that I could hear!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 04:29 AM

???

I have the same exact problem as I changed my wheel bearing but noise still persist. How could a bolt in a motor mount make that sound plus get louder when turning left but stop when turning right (my same exact symptoms)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Bolt wasn't there anymore, so the passenger side motor mount wasn't supporting the engine at all. I imagine when turning right the engine wouldn't be leaning as much on that mount so it would stop making noise, and when turning left it would lean more on it, making the sound worse.