Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

BC Racing BR series coilover damping settings rough Street use

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BC Racing BR series coilover damping settings rough Street use

Hi Guys,

I just got a set of BC BR coilovers to replace my leaking Tein monoflex, since there are brand new they ride a lot better than my leaking Teins.

However the BR feel less planted compared wit the tein, they have 7k front and 8k rear.
Maybe this is because the Tein has harder springs? (front 10k rear 12k I think)

Can I set up the damping on the BR to get them to preform better on the street?

I have tried below damping setting (from softest) tire bridgstone RE11 225/17/45 F32 psi R28 psi

I am after a set-up that is comfortable enough not to feel small-medium bumps, can can hug to the road as low & high speeds, and give you confidence entering corners. ( bear in mind we have bumpy street road with lost of uneven potholes)

All advice suggestion are welcome~!

Last edited by unihappytime; Aug 29, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
          Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
          Evolving Member

For my spring rate should I have the damping set up harder at the front or rear.

The car is front heavy right? but I have a lower spring rate front, so higher damping for better balance?

Come on guys, what's your BC BR damper setting and how does it feel on rough roads?
          Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
          Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
          Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
          Dampening does not change spring rate.

Rear spring rates are higher on the CT9A due to rear motion ratio and wheel rate.

From my experience with the BC units. 0 - 15 - 32 are the only real noticeable changes and their valving is not great overall.
          Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
          Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
          Dampening does not change spring rate.

Rear spring rates are higher on the CT9A due to rear motion ratio and wheel rate.

From my experience with the BC units. 0 - 15 - 32 are the only real noticeable changes and their valving is not great overall.

So there are basically 3 setting for this coilover?

Let me get this right, damping dose not change spring rate, but correct settings can be used to match the spring rate, affecting the comfort / performance of the ride?

but I got these for USD 880 fitted, so not bad for the price I paid.
          Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
          EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
          The problem with what Ive seen on BC valving is they are almost completely linear and still have a fair amount of cross talk over to compression from the rebound adjustment. Also, the first half of the adjustment does basically nothing. This is just from looking at whats been posted here in other threads and looking at other forums searching.

With the linear valving on a street car you cant really balance the turn-in firmness vs stability mid-corner with bumps. In the rear to get some corner entry oversteer you risk mid-corner snap oversteer.

On the street, what you'll feel most is the high speed valving cause you aren't jerking the wheel hard even getting over 1-2hz with turning. Stick with what ever setting is comfortable and composed over bumps because there will be a correlation between comfort and stability (which IMO is everything on the street) If you're racing then start low and increase one end till that end gets unstable through slaloms or bumps. Make sure your increases are at least 1/8th of the scale to make a large enough change to feel. Change one end at a time, and try 0, then 8, 16,24, 32. Make a run or two between each change. When you make a run on a new setting and things get worse, back off half the adjusted amount and start the other end.
          Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:53 AM
          Evolved Member

Originally Posted by unihappytime
          So there are basically 3 setting for this coilover?

Let me get this right, damping dose not change spring rate, but correct settings can be used to match the spring rate, affecting the comfort / performance of the ride?

but I got these for USD 880 fitted, so not bad for the price I paid.
          See Dallas Js note.

Yes, that is bad for the price you paid. They are junk in our books. Low quality.

Originally Posted by Dallas J
          The problem with what Ive seen on BC valving is they are almost completely linear and still have a fair amount of cross talk over to compression from the rebound adjustment. Also, the first half of the adjustment does basically nothing. This is just from looking at whats been posted here in other threads and looking at other forums searching.

With the linear valving on a street car you cant really balance the turn-in firmness vs stability mid-corner with bumps. In the rear to get some corner entry oversteer you risk mid-corner snap oversteer.

On the street, what you'll feel most is the high speed valving cause you aren't jerking the wheel hard even getting over 1-2hz with turning. Stick with what ever setting is comfortable and composed over bumps because there will be a correlation between comfort and stability (which IMO is everything on the street) If you're racing then start low and increase one end till that end gets unstable through slaloms or bumps. Make sure your increases are at least 1/8th of the scale to make a large enough change to feel. Change one end at a time, and try 0, then 8, 16,24, 32. Make a run or two between each change. When you make a run on a new setting and things get worse, back off half the adjusted amount and start the other end.
          Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
          Evolving Member

So for around 1k price mark, what is a good set of coilover for rough street use?

Time to investigate and see what other option I have when I come to change these for the better~!

If I re-valve the Teins would they be better? people say the don;t last long and tend to be a bit jumpy for rough roads.
          Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
          Evolved Member

1k? Coil overs - nothing.

Why do you even have coil overs? Just to say you have them? Could have said that on the OE suspension (coil over strut).

Factory Bilsteins would be the best suited for rough roads.
          Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:56 AM
          Evolving Member

1k? Coil overs - nothing.

Why do you even have coil overs? Just to say you have them? Could have said that on the OE suspension (coil over strut).

Factory Bilsteins would be the best suited for rough roads.
          Good question, the car came with coilovers (Tein monoflex), but when they wore out I can't find any second hand factory structs as replacements, ordering new struts from Mitsu cost way more than the BR, so beggars can't be choosers.

If the Tein were not so badly worn, I'd stuck with them, saved up and got some MR struts.
          Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
          Evolved Member

Can you get Bilstein HD struts there? Those are the aftermarket replacements for the CT9A.

Or spend more and get AST, KW3, Ohlins (overkill for a street car).
          Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
          Evolving Member

Can you get Bilstein HD struts there? Those are the aftermarket replacements for the CT9A.

Or spend more and get AST, KW3, Ohlins (overkill for a street car).
          Wow I asked around for the HD's they are qouting 1.3k just for the goods, plus another 100 to fit and set up.

Guess I'll have to save up
          Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:14 AM
          Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Generally the idea.
          Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
          EvoM Guru

Received 738 Likes on 571 Posts
          If you have 1k to spend on shocks, save up for a bit and look for a set of use AST 4100s or KWV3s.

I think you're understanding how quick you can be on a set of bilsteins, GTworks springs, and swaybars. Cheap coilovers might come with higher rates and a bit of reduced roll but at the sacrifice of stability, durability, and comfort.

I run AST5100's cause I run 285 hoosiers. When racing season is over and I'm only running street tires I go back to the aforementioned setup and enjoy the car all winter.