Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Camber kits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber kits

Just kind of looking for some information about camber kits and what i should be using...

I want to have a better range from negative to positive than stock by at least a few degrees on both ends, i don't hellaflush my car or stance it but if i wanted to enter it into one of those shows i would like to have the ability to

how exactly do the bushings and the brackets and nuts and bolts kits work? i can see how they could add positive camber but how can they add negative camber? this is assuming they are pushing the control arm outward to increase positive camber? maybe i'm confused on this

how do camber plates work? this seems to me like they just make your suspension sit diagonal...is this okay on the car? or does it severely wear things out and/or have catastrophic high failure rates? just doesn't seem like a great idea to me but i am not sure of how it works exactly so i'm probably wrong there...

full control arm assemblies, do we have any of these available to us? this seems like the best and easiest way to adjust camber for what appears to be an unlimited range from as far negative to as far positive as you want to go... are these the best option for performance and the ability to stance the car should i actually want to do that for showing/non driving purposes?

let me know if there is a specific way "everyone is doing it" or "what works best" because this is seemingly a lot more confusing that i would think it needs to be...

i.e if buying coilovers with adjustable plates is what everyone does...let me know

just looking for a little education

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All we have is the +/- 1.75 deg options via cam bolts.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All we have is the +/- 1.75 deg options via cam bolts.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:07 PM

i'm not really talking about what tire rack has to offer, if it's an additional -1.75 or +1.75 to add onto the normal range of -2.5(?) to +2.5(?) degrees you can get with completely stock everything...that might work

but i'm trying to find a decently priced control arm, like a whole thing...

or what methods are available outside of that, i'm open to learn about it for sure

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
cars use eccentric bolts to control camber. if you're confused as to how the camber on evo's work (and many cars for that matter) you need to lift your car and take a front wheel off. if you need more camber than the eccentric bolt can offer, you'll need to get adjustable camber plates
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJustin
...and upper control arm bushings and other nut/bolt kits...
Wrong web-site, dude, for complaining about your 2G DSM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
cars use eccentric bolts to control camber. if you're confused as to how the camber on evo's work (and many cars for that matter) you need to lift your car and take a front wheel off. if you need more camber than the eccentric bolt can offer, you'll need to get adjustable camber plates

my real issue is, i want to buy some coilovers but they don't come with camber plates at the top and i'm not really looking to spend 500 bucks on 2 sets of camber plates when i'm getting the coilovers used for like 1000-1300...

are camber plates what everyone uses? or do they use control arms? or autozone style piece of metal with a hole in it and a nut style kits? just wondering what the experts have found to be the best route..
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Replacement lower LCAs are rare and very expensive. For some Evos there are offset bushings for the lower LCA, but mostly for more caster and they ofter take away some camber as they add a little caster. That's why everyone uses camber/caster plates, instead.

(I assume that we're talking about the front, because there are no problems in the rear.)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:30 PM

the rear is actually what i'll be wanting to adjust, i have 9.5" wide rims

i'd like to get it a little more negative...i'm at like -1.5 degree maybe?

are you saying with the stock bolts that you can easily get negative enough? or are you saying there are good options for camber kits for the rear? sorry i literally know nothing about this, not trying to be a total dumbass, i just want to do it right the first time, i've seen camber plates for the rear, does anyone use them?

and you're right i found adjustable control arms but they were like 500 for a set...granted they were super track star CAs but still

this is the look camber-wise and height-wise that i would like to achieve(using coilovers), this car has the exact same rims as me in every way i run smaller tires 18 x 9.5 +15 offset

just to get this look is all i'll need is the 1.75deg camber kit? or will i want camber plates?

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. You rarely come across people who are happy with their front camber and are having problems figuring out how to do the rear. I was also thrown off by your mentioning camber plates; those can only be used in the front, you know. I'm sorry for my previous assumption(s).

Yes, if you run out of adjustment in the rear, you replace the control arms. It's a multi-link rear, so plates on the shock will do nothing but change the motion ratio. You usually have to replace the toe arms at the same time as you replace the control arms. $500 sounds steep to me, but good parts can be expensive.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:45 PM

yeah these were a little nuts...i'm not happy with the front lol not at all but i haven't lowered it to see how bad i'll dislike it

i think seeing this is what confused me
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=105&page=1

can you tell me what people usually use to get more camber from the rear? and do you think to get the same look as the car i posted above that i would even need more camber in the rear than the stock setup allows?

if one of those little nut and bolt kits work for the rear that would be fine but if not anything to help would be awesome, a link to a kit commonly used or anything really..thanks

and this is a slightly cheaper lca but still close enough to 500 to be a no go for me

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/rear...1-p-17560.html

even megan racing is 400+ with shipping

Last edited by EvoJustin; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

i think seeing this is what confused me
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=105&page=1
Wow. That really is a stupid ad, isn't it? Just goes to prove: all you'll really get from surfing the web is confused. Reminds me of people selling "camber plates" for the front of 2G DSMs.

can you tell me what people usually use to get more camber from the rear? and do you think to get the same look as the car i posted above that i would even need more camber in the rear?
If you can't get what you want from the OE adjusters, then you have to replace the arms.

I can't say what amount of camber the car is that pic has. It doesn't look like all that much to me. Remember, due to a form of what is called Shepard's (Tabletop) Illusion, when something is tilted slightly away from a canonical direction, such as straight up and down, humans will see it as being twice as tilted as it really is. (Google Frank Durgin of Swarthmore College for more on this.)

Also, I'm not sure why you want to copy the appearance of a particular car. Most of the time, people set up their own car for their own uses. And this usually means setting the rear camber to about 2/3 of the front. Only if you have a ton of front camber will you need a kit to get the correct rear camber.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 PM

makes sense, and i just happen to think it's a good look for the car, i wouldn't go that low but i'd like that camber.

so outside of lcas there is no other option for additional rear camber?

and i'm trying to decide if it's worth it to spend on some used hks kypermax iii coilovers(retail 2200-2400$) could get them maybe 1000-1300 depending on the selling and buy front camber plates for them...or if i should just wait for some used kw variants to pop up...

i also can't get a good census about coilovers either...i have some people saying anything from 1000-1500 is gonna be the same quality and people saying anything from 1000-2000 is going to be the same quality...which is it? am i going to hate life if i get coilovers that retail for 1600-1800 new for say 1000 used? and how can you tell if they use good parts? is there a way to see what shock they use? and what spring they use? or do you just assume since it's expensive and doesn't say sport on it that it's going to be good and a decent ride, or if it does say sport on it that it's going to be good and better for performance than ride?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

so outside of lcas there is no other option for additional rear camber?
Well, maybe somebody makes a more-extreme eccentric bolt and/or some offset bushings for the other control arm, but, in general, yes, the only way to change the rear camber is to change the effective lengths of the control arms. It is multi-link, after all.

I have an X and not big on cosmetic mods, so I think I'll bow out of the discussion now. Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:24 PM

well if anyone else can comment, hypermax iii non sport model coilovers for DD with camber plates added? or just wait for kw variants to come up used

Quick Reply: Camber kits