Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo 8 Stock lug nuts fit aftermarket rims? XXR Wheels..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Evo 8 Stock lug nuts fit aftermarket rims? XXR Wheels..

Basically i will be ordering the XXR 522's (XXR 522 17x8 Black 5-114.3/5-120 [+35mm]) and it has the same offset as stock enkei's wheels and bolt pattern (after comparing research) and i was just curious if the stock lug nuts will actually fit. In the description for the aftermarket wheels it says to use Tuner lug nuts. Well i went to look at some lug nuts and their are many different sizes and options that i have NO clue of..

They have Spline Drive Lug Nuts 12x1.25 ( I am assuming this is thread size ) and the numbers varies from their to 12x1.5, 1/2. Which one do i actually get? Then they give me "Closed End" and "Open Ended" options and i have yet to research what the heck is the difference. So if the stock lugs work that would save some time. Advice would be helpful. Thank You.

P.S - I am sticking to 17's because i ordered a $960 set of Yokohama Advan S.4's before even considering aftermarket wheels and i am not selling that SOB for anything less.. I rather run the tires out.

I will be running the Advan S.4's ( 235/45R-17 ) and i am curious if anyone knows i will have any issues with fitment.

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No! U need aftermarket lug nuts.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobros
No! U need aftermarket lug nuts.
Well that was a simple answer lol. Thanks. Any ideas on what thread size of lug nuts? Like i mentioned they ask for open end or closed end. This looking for a new rim thing is a Pain in the a$$ if you are a noob to the game. I can get the Open End because they feature an open end design to accomodate longer wheel studs but i dont know if that is necessary.

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Mar 24, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
open-lug nuts are prone to rust, used to have volk race open lugnuts...IMHO unless you are using extended lugnuts don't use open end nuts.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

^ Great advice. Thanks.

What thread size do i get for these tuner lugs? 12x1.25, 12x1.5 or 1/2"?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
a quick google search would tell you that the evo threads are 12x1.5
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These are my favorite lug nuts hands down. http://www.bloxracing.com/bloxshop/i...product_id=410

Blox Racing Chromoly. They are open ended, but we use a small amount of anti-seeze to control any rust. They are inexpensive, work with a 17mm socket (which is awesome compared to a 19mm) and being chromoly, are really strong. Been using them for 4 years, have to have done hundreds of wheel changes on our car and never had one been damaged or have any issues.

As always, check your torque on your wheels after you drive for a little bit! I've had a lug nut back off on track because of the wheels heating and cooling!!

Dan
Old Mar 27, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

^ Thanks for the advice.

I have read around on these forums and noticed some people saying that when they put these rims on their car they felt steering vibrations when going over 70mph. Then a little more research had me reading that i MAY need centric hub spacers for these wheels just so they lined up on the hub not the lugs. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone know where can i get these spacers and what size would they be?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Never mind my question.

For anyone who googled and it brought you here for an answer.. The size for the hub ring is 67.1mm (Stock wheels). You can get 67.1 - 73.1 Rings.

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Mar 27, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
you should always use hubcentric adapters when running wheels
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
you should always use hubcentric adapters when running wheels
I preface by saying I don't know what I am talking about.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Hu...Vs-Lug-Centric
Which implies that if an aftermarket wheel is lug-centric, then it is counter-productive to hub center them

IIRC, once the lugs are tight, the load is transferred from the wheel to the hub face by static friction. The lugs are just to hold the clamping force between the mounting faces. Whatever-centric just has to do with aligning the wheel so there isn't any imbalance.
This states that the hubs don't carry any weight and really, the studs don't either. This also would imply that my painted wheels with the hub face painted, should be sanded down to bare metal to maintain the coefficient of friction between the hub face and wheel face. I can't imagine glossy paint has very good friction. This also means that re-torqueing the lugs is very important especially when heating/cooling the wheel/hub up.

Granted, TireRack states this:
Since almost all of today's cars are designed with hub centric wheels which transfer the vehicle's load from the center of the wheel to the car's hub (and allow the lug nuts/bolts to just hold the wheel against the hub), it is important that track wheels continue to be hub centric to help distribute the forces encountered on the track.
Is there an automotive engineer can chime in on this?

Last edited by nollij; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM.